Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Should students pass Air Law exam before going solo?

Yes
71%
No
21%
No real opinion either way
8%
What's Air Law
No votes
0%
By Stephen Morley
Also perhaps it turns into a pointless tradition... "I did it so you'll have to do it too sonny"

One of the reasons I didnt go to Eton :wink:

The others being living in a council house and not having as good a choir voice as me next door neighbour, who did.
By Peter Pan
Ah yes - forgot about that. You needed a RT license and your medical as well. Both of those make sense - if you are plumetting into the nearest puppy scanctuary you need to be able to have the health to be able to call up the tower and inform them where to send the fire crew.....
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think yes they should, but also the content of the air law exam needs some common sense applying to it. (i.e. remove the questions about what material the placards are made out of and replace them with something more useful).
By adhawkins
[quote='Peter Pan']Ah yes - forgot about that. You needed a RT license and your medical as well.[/quote]
Not sure if you're being funny or you thought I was! I'm serious, and this was in October...

Andy
By Steve D
I think passing air-law pre-solo was probably more important when the air-law exams contained matters of relevance to a PPL :roll:

Nowadays, I think it is still important that the student has at least studied for the exam, so should (in theory) be conversant with marshalling signals, light signals and so-on, and also has given some thought to the legal implications of what they are doing, what they can and can't do.
By Peter Pan
[quote='adhawkins'][quote='Peter Pan']Ah yes - forgot about that. You needed a RT license and your medical as well.[/quote]
Not sure if you're being funny or you thought I was! I'm serious, and this was in October...

Andy[/quote]

Deffo needed your medical......Too busy to look it up on the ANO tonight!
By adhawkins
Yes, I think it's a legal requirement that you have to have a medical before flying solo.

The R/T license is another matter though. I don't have mine, and don't plan on doing the R/T practical until quite near the end of my PPL studies.

Andy
Going for 'oldest ever thread awakening' award!

It seems that for something so apparently simple, it is not. What are the LEGAL requirement for going solo in the UK. Not what is a good idea, not 'my school...' but simply what is the legal requirement?

Answers on a postcard. Or you can post here, also acceptable. :)

Thanks, Sam.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FCL.020 Student pilot
(a)
A student pilot shall not fly solo unless authorised to do so and supervised by a flight instructor.
(b)
Before his/her first solo flight, a student pilot shall be at least:
(1)in the case of aeroplanes, helicopters and airships: 16 years of age;
(2) in the case of sailplanes and balloons: 14 years of age.

MED.A.030 Medical certificates
(a) A student pilot shall not fly solo unless that student pilot holds a medical certificate, as required for the relevant licence.

They also need to be insured.

edited to include rest of FCL.020
Last edited by riverrock on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Sinclair, JAFO liked this