Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Should students pass Air Law exam before going solo?

Yes
71%
No
21%
No real opinion either way
8%
What's Air Law
No votes
0%
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sam Rutherford wrote:According to CAA website, for NPPL or UK PPL, a self declaration medical is sufficient.

I guess you're referring to this: https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/ ... te-pilots/

"Learning to Fly

If you are at the start of your journey to gain a UK flight crew licence, at present you have a number of options in terms of the licence you will be training for; more information can be found here.

For the NPPL and UK PPL, not including UK Part-FCL licences like the LAPL or PPL, you can make a Pilot Medical Declaration (PMD), (see the full details about the PMD below) and commence flight training and make application for the issue of a UK NPPL or PPL(Balloon or Gyroplane) only. There are limitations to operating with the PMD, they are also detailed below. 

For UK Part-FCL licences, you will need to hold either a valid Class 1, 2 or LAPL medical certificate depending on which licence you will be applying for. "
Sam Rutherford wrote:So, if NPPL or UK PPL, before solo:

Insured, 16, medical self declaration.

That's it?

No air law pass, no RT licence?

I think that's the case, but surprisingly tricky to get a clear answer.

It's really not that difficult unless you're looking for things which aren't there. It's tricky then, I grant you.
As far as I know @Flyin'Dutch', it's never been a legal requirement in the UK. A large proportion of schools have, in my experience, preferred it or even required it. It seems reasonable to me.

I don't think there really is an argument against it as no-one has ever really needed to have that argument.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:I don't think there really is an argument against it as no-one has ever really needed to have that argument.

In the past, no. But is it not true that now there are limits on the time taken for all exams and their validity, which combined with the B&C events of the last couple of years might now mean students are questioning when and how they do exams?

Regards, SD..
JAFO liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:What's the argument for not having airlaw done before a first solo?

I don't think there is an argument at all.

There is however no need for it before solo, as the student is still PUT, he is still the responsibility, and under the direct supervision of the instructor.

If an argument is started as to whether Air Law should have been completed before solo, then the argument carries on in that the student should have passed ALL of his exams before solo and if he intends to use radio on his solo circuit, should also have passed FRTOL.

Breaching Air Law if far less likely to kill the student, compared Principles of Flight!
lobstaboy, scd975 liked this
JAFO wrote:As far as I know @Flyin'Dutch', it's never been a legal requirement in the UK. A large proportion of schools have, in my experience, preferred it or even required it. It seems reasonable to me.

There is zero real point in insisting on Air Law before the first solo. It's not going to make that flight safer or a better learning experience for the student.

On the other hand it does have a psychological benefit that's important for some students. It emphasizes that learning to fly is a serious business requiring real effort. And getting a theory exam ticked off means they are less reluctant to do the rest, they know they can do it.
JAFO liked this