Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

You are asked to Orbit in the circuit on the downwind leg. Which way do you orbit?

Towards the runway / circuit direction
15%
Away from the runway / circuit direction
78%
Barrel rolls and vertical orbits <grin>
7%
By Keef
Simple indeed.

Orbits are not unknown at Sharon & Tracey International (aka Sahfen') but the instruction always includes which way round to go - it's usually away from the circuit. Can't remember ever having orbited "inwards".

At an uncontrolled field, I would think it more than dangerous - I'd call it lethal! Has anyone ever been asked to orbit by a FISO or A/G? Hope not!
By vintage ATCO
As said, as an ATCO I've used orbits for spacing and always specify the direction, usually away from field. I also asked acft to make a 270 deg turn onto base or final for the same reason.

As a FISO or A/G I have been asked by pilots if they can orbit and told by some they are carrying out an orbit. Not a lot you can say except give traffic information on everything else! :shock:

VA
By Vince C
Another St Ivian wrote:In that case do you feel there could be some argument for civil pilots adopting constant aspect circuits such as the military use? I have heard arguments against it, issues like compromised lookout and higher workload but in my experience it is possible to safely fly some very tight constant aspect circuits even in aircraft like the 152.

ASI

I love doing these and if possible I will do them. However, as Chilli pointed out, they are difficult or impossible to fit into a circuit of mixed performance aeroplanes. If I have the Barton circuit to myself and either of the 09s is in use, I'll often do this 'constant curve constant descent' from downwind to the numbers. It's not possible on the 27s because it would involve flying low over the adjacent cemetary which is a no-no. On 09 it's just Barton Moss underneath you.

When we went to Caernarfon the other month for the abortive fly-in, I did one there as I was the only one in the circuit. Not only are they satisfying to do, I think they are excellent practice for forced landings.

Vince