Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob S
Hello Posters

Long time no post but been away.

Yesterday Mrs S and I had planned to go to the Scillies. The weather was not brilliant with some real rubbish around the Devon Cornwall area but the Scillies was ok with cloud at 4000 feet (BKN I think) and a layer lower than that of scattered (I think). I got to within a few miles of Plymouth and could see waht was basically a wall of cloud right down to the ground. As there is high ground to the north I decided to climb and eventually popped out VMC on top at 6500 and in fact had to go to 7000' to remain clear (the highest I have ever flown myself).

I was now completely out of sight of the ground but well aware of where I was even though I had no GPS. I continued on until about 25 miles SW of Plymouth when I decided that I really didn't fancy a descent through cloud to break out somewhere over the sea near St Mary's (Assuming the weather was okay which having got the actual for Culdrose it certainly was not (BKN at 500' comes to mind).

So I did a 180 and flew back to Bournemouth - by Berry Head all was clear and I descended back under the layer through scattered cloud - easy.

Today I have been sitting in the glorious sunshine and the TAF's an METAR's for the whole SW seem to be fine - I am a bit peeved to say the least although luckily there were no real rare birds on St Mary's that I have missed.

What would you have done then - carried on and been a bit braver than me or not?

Rob S
By Wendy Lenden
Hi Rob,you do at the time what you think is best for the situation you are in. You got down safely back at Bournmouth so you made the right decision, you can always try again another day to do that trip, so yup 180 for me. At least you did get to fly.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I was now completely out of sight of the ground but well aware of where I was even though I had no GPS

Eh? No GPS? Are you serious?

:lol:

Ian
I guess you could have asked London Info for the actual at St Marys, apart from that and the schoolboy error of taking off without a gps :-)
By Rob S
I am in my minimalist phase! Actually I had one on board but it didn't work.

I like to think I could fly without one - that's two trips now - when I went to Rochester it was sans GPS too

Rob S
By ROG
Had a simulated GPS failure in the circuit last week--took me hours to find the runway (only joking )

Seriously you were right not to push your luck--there are plenty of high hour pilots in the mortuaries---sorry to be a morbid ROG.
By Propwash
Hi Rob,
the very fact that you were able to make this post indicates that you made the right decision. 8)
The comments by others about GPS are more worrying. It is starting to get like schools where children can only do their maths with the aid of a calculator. GPS is all very well, but surely we should all be happy to fly without it?

PW

PS - In your absence Steve Morley has developed unhealthy political ambitions of which you may not be aware. I can't speak for Harry, but the comments offering Steve a one-way ticket to Tibet were only light hearted. Mind you . . . :wink:
By Rob S
I have to say I was a bit surprised that I got some stick for not having a GPS!

(With regard to Mr Morley I am having deep discussions with him tomorrow on our next TWO issues of the left hander assuming he hasn't gone to Tibet.)

Rob
By Propwash
If it is a face to face meeting - count your fingers after shaking hands. He's a politician now! :roll:

PW
By TonyL
Propwash wrote:If it is a face to face meeting - count your fingers after shaking hands. He's a politician now! :roll:

PW

I would count them before as well otherwise he may argue the point.

T
Professional bean counter
By Adam
What worries me about SM is his obvious level of capitalist ambition - maybe he should move his PA28 to Bournemouth -he'll soon be poor again given the level of landing fees!
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I have to say I was a bit surprised that I got some stick for not having a GPS!

The comments by others about GPS are more worrying. It is starting to get like schools where children can only do their maths with the aid of a calculator. GPS is all very well, but surely we should all be happy to fly without it?

I think you're all taking my comments a little too seriously, there were two :lol: :lol: in the post.

That said GPS is only a (very accurate and reliable) navigational tool. NDBs, VORs and DMEs are also (less accurate, less reliable) tools. Surely we should make use of what we have available and not suggest that the ability to fly accurately by DR alone while IMC is what we should all be practising on a regular basis?

Ian
By Rob S
True - but what if the GPS broke mid flight - would you still be able to do it all? (That's 'you' plural rather than 'you' singular before I get accused of something)

Rob S
By Adam
I assume that as you (plural) all passed various Nav Ex's to get your PPL and that as some of you (plural) have IMC endorsements that you (plural) probably can navigate by DR only. Its just that GPS is easier. The problems come I suppose if you (plural) rely on GPS to such an extent that you (plural) don
By Rob S
Yes - and this time it was very relevant as I didn't have one!!!

Rob S