Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Steve H
I have agreed to fly my friend and his wife to Paris to see the Moulin Rouge, Monmartre etc. (he has already seen the rest of Paris - just not that bit) before he returns to Canada.

I have flown to Paris before and went to Toussus.

I fancy a different airfield (I am still 'airfield collecting'). I am thinking Pontoise would be best, is it handy for trains into Gare du Nord or is the a better alternative? I would prefer to fly direct, and onto tarmac (or at least lots of grass) so customs would be good.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No brainer. Pontoise. Forget the Gare du Nord, you can catch the RER (fast Metro) to wherever you want to go. It is a 10-15 minute taxi ride away.
By yawningdog
I used Lognes the other day. Nice little airfield, gets you close in to the city. Not many places to do a forced landing though. Either loads of trees or houses.
By Irv Lee
Is the old Paris VFR route still available from NW to East and v-v? Been a while, 10 years probably, since I did that.
By lelandv
Irv Lee wrote:Is the old Paris VFR route still available from NW to East and v-v? Been a while, 10 years probably, since I did that.

If you mean the VFR cooridor which goes from near Pontoise, across the threshold of LeBourget and out the otherside next to the A86/A4 junction, it's still marked on the charts. It was NOTAMed as being closed to general aviation just after 9/11 for a couple of years. Don't know if it's been reopened or not as I've simply not bothered checking.

L.
By 2Donkeys
That route has not generally been available since 9/11.

In addition for this poster's purposes, there is little point if taking the route either. You might just as well land at Pontoise, and head straght into town.
By MichaelP
My favourite used to be St Cyr - L'ecole, it's right besides the Versailles Place.
A short walk out of the aerodrome and there was a pension to stay at, and then another walk takes you to the railway station with direct service to Gare Montparnasse (sp?).
I bought what they called a Orange pass, a bit like the old London City Pass.
By lelandv
MichaelP wrote:I bought what they called a Orange pass, a bit like the old London City Pass.

If your stay isn't very long, probably better off getting the Paris Visite rather than the Carte Orange. Carte Orange is supposed to be accompanied by a photocard, and is usually a monthly pass... I've been through many of them in my day. Paris Visite is available daily or weekly. Just make sure you get them for the needed zones!

L.