Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By George
Having had a PPL for 20 years I have just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Obviously I will have to declare this to the CAA. Does anyone know what the rules are and whether I will be able to continue flying?
By Paul
See this month's mag (October issue). There is a letter concerning diabetes that should answer your query - Heading MEDICAL ISSUE
By Rupert S.
i'm not a sufferer but I've been asking around about this too. is there a CAA document that relates to this?
By George
I saw the letter in the mag but this deals with a different issue -namely the difficulty in getting a GP to sign off the certficate required for a NPPL. What I'm concerned with is the impact on a current holder of a full JAR PPL.

I understand there are guidelines distributed to licensed medical practitioners by the CAA but not published.
By John
Look in JAR-FCL3 Section 2 Chapter 5

Type 2 diabetics fully controlled, may be fit unrestricted Class 1 and Class 2.
By Jonathan
Don't know the answer I'm afraid, but good luck George - having flown for 20 years must be a tough call for you and I'm sure everyone on this forum will be wishing you the best.
By George
many thanks for that - much appreciated.

I'm beginning to understand the CAA position. Silly me - it was obvious all along. Legally there's nothing to stop you flying but the CAA throw so much red tape at you that it amounts to the same thing!
By Ian M
I am a type 2 diabetic (diagnosed after gaining my PPL and CAA medical). Rules are complex, but generally fair. I am controlled on diet only, but the CAA will accept certain tablets that are not likely to make you hypo (metformin for example). They require an annual report from my consultant (a copy of the letter to my GP usually suffices, and costs nowt).

Hba1c levels should be reasonable. I am able to gain a class 2 JAA medical aswell on the same basis (haven't checked class one - don't need it). The FAA will certainly issue class 1's to type 2 diabetics.

Don't let it put you off. Eat well, keep exercising and make sure your weight stays down. There's great things in the pipeline with diabetic control.