Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul Evans
I am trying to take up flying and have been looking around, my problem is I am unable to use the left toebrakes of an aircraft due to a fused left ankle (at a very strange angle).

I have had conflicting views as to whether this would prevent me passing the ppl. Can I take it in an aircraft that has a steerable nose wheel (I have no problems with the rudder pedals) and I used the parking brake (only) to stop?

Any advice greatly recieved as I don't have a nearby club/school which has an adapted plane (ie one with hand controls).
By john milner
Many Cherokee 140 don't have toe brakes just steerable nosewhell and the combined hand operated brake and parking brake so try to get a club that can train you on those and take advice from a medical examiner as to whether there are any other issues.

Hope that helps
By Paul Evans
John

Thanks

the ame has passed me fit to fly, so I'll try to find a 140.
By David Durell
The Robin DR400 series aircraft, and perhaps other models, have steerable nose wheel and differential braking simply by pushing rudder pedal to the extreme movement. There is also a centre hand brake that operates evenly on both main wheels.

If you can operate the rudder okay then you should have no problem in a Robin, in my view.
By Bigg1es
If your options are open to include 3 axis microlights, most dont have toe brakes. I learnt in a Thruster at Barton and now have a share in a Rans S6...braking is by means of a hand operated brake lever.
By Larry Tuwie
Did an hour on a Chipmunk last week.

The ergonomics and 'comforts' of this old-timer are put to shame by even the simple spam cans in the GA fleet. No steerable nosewheel, but differential braking was accomplished by pushing the rudder pedal to extreme movement as in the DR400 mentioned above.

Handbake used to brake, and partially applied in order to give the differial braking using rudder pedals during taxi.

Having said which, a Chipmunk can't be a cheap plane for ab intio training...
By poetpilot
Some basic Jodels and I believe Piper Cubs have heel brakes - little mini pedals set back from the rudder pedals on the floor which you push with your heels. Weird but you get used to it and it works!!

So get in touch with the bunch at Clacton who fly Super Cubs.... maybe they have these heel brakes?

Or fly something with no brakes !!!! Tiger Moth?
By john
get a 140 cherokee with the combined hand / parking brake. I trained on a katana and when I bought the cherokee my first thought was " oh-no toe brakes" Now I don't even miss them as you get so used to the central lever. As an aside with the steerable nose wheel the cherokee is more nimble than most planes with toe brakes
By Paul E
Thanks to you lot for the input.

I live in Kent and have had absolutely no joy finding a school which has either a cherokee, a robin w/o toebrakes or indeed any other plane w/o these pesky contraptions. Obviously after getting the PPl I'll have no probs with something like a europa (or chipmunk), any further ideas on who might be able to train me.

I'm still curious though do I actually need to operate the toe brakes in order to pass the skill test or get my PPL? If the plane has a steerable nose wheel can't I brake using the hand brake and steer with the nose wheel? I get different views from different instructors/schools.
By Paul E
Once again thanks to you all for your advice/time.

Weald Air services have a couple of Dr400's that sound suitable so I'll go there.

Happy flying to you all!!!
By Dave Gittins
One of our Cherokee 140s at LTFC at Fairoaks only has a "handbrake" - G-LTFB of '68 vintage. The "new one" G-LTFC (from 1971) has toe brakes. The Warrior has 'em too. It's just a matter of remembering which aeroplane you are in on the roll out and how you get it to stop.
By Mike C
Luscombes have heel brakes, not a lot of help as they tend not to be on a Public Transport C of A but useful for when you have got your license.