Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James R
Today I was overhead Sudbury disused when the instructor asked me to dial up Essex Radar (Wattisham MATZ not open).

Looking at a quarter mil map or the A5 CAA published frequency card, there is no mention of Essex radar. How would you know that it is actually 120.625 aka Stanstead Approach (or is it)?

Or am I just missing something here...?

To take it one step further, finding any radar information (LARS) frequencys while in flight is a bit of a nightmare. I wouldn't normally worry too much about it because I shouldn't (and hopefully won't) be in a situation where I depend on them however today was diversion training for when things don't go to plan and it made me think...I'm hardly likely to have the AIP in the back for quick reference.

Any thoughts?

Confused
By James - another one
Part of it is pre planning.

My PLOG for a trip usually contains a number of frequencies outside of the route I have planned to fly. This is so that I can cope with diversions, yup even in solid IMC resulting in an ILS approach! the CAA chart contains the zone frequencies including Essex Radar.

There is no substitute for planning, I carry a folder of Approach charts and airfield plates in my flight bag and update them for the trip I'm planning so they are readily to hand.

Overkill! try an unexpected diversion to Southampton on the ILS to 800 feet cloudbase and you re-think your preparation
By Rupert S.
I had the same problem trying to find benson so i did what any pilot would do, i asked here. Have a look in pooleys flight guide. I usually find them there. As far as i've seen so far, only civil frequencies are shown on the charts or frequency cards.
By Jane
As with James - another one, on any flight plan I have frequencies of anything that I might need whether I intend to call them or not. In that way theoretically I should not be stuck. As my base is Essex all flight plans have Essex Radar of 120.625 automatically (it's on my standard form on the computer). Being an idiot however, the one time I needed it I did not use it. I used to also cut out the list of frequencies from the map and stick it to my Plan board. However CAA have kindly done a laminated one of the right size which I think came with the map which is now permanently with my plans. And 120.625 is Stansted approach and Stansted Radar. And on the map itself in the Stansted ATZ it gives 120.625 as does Wattisham at 125.8 and other major ones, civil and military.

Wattisham is usually not open at the weekends but I still call them so that other people know that I am in the area.
By Bernard Foot
Of course all the advice about pre-planning is correct, but don't forget to simply ask on the radio for the frequency you need.

If you're already working an ATC unit, just ask them. Otherwise call London Info (124.6 or 124.75) or the Scottish equivalent - the numbers are writ' large on the half-mil chart. That's one of the things they're there for.

I guess if you're getting into a paddy and have forgotten these frequancies and can't see them on the chart, 121.5 would be happy to help out, as long as they're not in the middle of something more serious.