Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
Yesterday I had a bit of a contratemps with a German pilot.

He's flying on a validation certificate, validating his German PPL.
He was told that he could not log dual flight hours here in Canada because they would not be acceptable to JAA and German aviation authorities.

1. Would JAA, or German, authorities believe that a low houred Private Pilot would be let free in an aircraft in a foreign country without a check-out, or some vestige of dual flying?

2. He's flown the Cessna 120 with me. Tailwheel aeroplanes I understand are treated separately now that JAA rules apply. Will the authorities accept a pilot flying a tailwheel aeroplane without any dual?

I look at logbooks as an insight into a pilots character, and ego.
By Jim
Generally speaking, Dual flight after you have a licence is not going to be valid for anything anyway. It will not cont towards a further licence. So far as logging it is concerned there should be no problem it is merely an account of what you have done.

In order to fly a tail wheel aeroplane under JAR-FCL 1 you must do differences training and be signed off by a JAA instructor; there is nothing in JAR-FCL1 to say that the differences training involves any flying. If you train him, he logs it as dual and on return, if its signed by a JAA instructor, he is tailwheel qualified, but Germany are not yet JAA approved!
By MichaelP
Yes, those Germans dealt us a blow again. Must be getting back at us for the war.
They added all their nasties into JAR and then walked away!

When will this nonesense be resolved?

I was at the Swissair School when they were replying to the JAR questionaire. They wanted Astro Nav put back into the ATPL syllabus would you believe.

Each nationality wanted to out complexify the other to create a JAR nightmare.
How many terrible accidents and disasters was it that necessitated all the BS we have to put up with?