Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
-What IFR requirements are there for a training plane?

To be used for training, the aircraft and its checklist need to be approved by the CAA for that purpose. In particular, you will need a screen system, since foggles are not authorised for IR purposes.

-Who might be able to instruct me?

An approved FTO. The list is on the CAA Website.

-Is there a minimum requirement for hours before embarking on a PPL IR?

All details of minimum hours and syllabus are on the CAA Website. Search under LASORS

-Where is the best place to do distance-learning IR ground school exams? Should I just go for the ATPL exams?

The choice is starting to grow. Atlantic were the first in the market, there are now many others.

-Can I do a PPL IR on a class 2 medical?

Yes

-Anything else I haven
By Ivy
From experience I think it is far easier undertaking the flight training with an approved school. Infact Beryl doesn't think it can be done outside a formal school setup. It is also quite a demanding sylabus and you will benefit from learning with others. The school may let you sit in the back seat with another student. From memory I think you need 50 hrs training in a single (55 in a twin)

A PA28RT will get you in the airways but as 2D says the rest are largely inadequate. You may have to join an airway at FL 70 and then be expected to climb higher. All a bit daunting with a simple normally aspirated single- particularly on a hot day.

50 hours x country is needed but I think you will find it difficult with only 130 hours. Nothing to stop you undertaking the ground course though. Cost is likely to be in excess of
By John
The IR Exams comprise of 200 hours groundschool and 8 exams. Why would you want to do 600 hours groundschool and 14 exams (ATPL) if you have no aspiration to go commercial?
By Steve
Good question.... Because I didnt know the hours difference! Ive heard that the IR exams are a "watered down" version of the ATPL exams, and they are only a few hundred quid more. But I shall take your advice - and all of the other excellent advice I have received.

The biggest problem seems to me to be the training plane. Is it an essential requirement to fly FL70 and above, for the training and test?

And... Has anybody else around here attempted a PPL IR?
By Ivy
Watered down is probably not quite correct. I seem to remember the ATPL boys did more work on a few specific areas eg magnetism, in addition to the extra subjects. The PPL/IR is pretty comprehensive.

As mentioned above I am not sure it is possible to do the course outside an approved school. The approved schools have a/c with screens, equipment (RMI) etc. Yes it is necessary to fly at these altitudes. Take a look at an airways chart and see where the airways start. A standard join 7 east of DTY is at FL70. Not all the training will be this high.

Having done the course I am not aware there is a cheaper or easier way around the system. It will take a min of 6 months and it is expensive. I still think 130hrs is too early to start
By Steve
Hmmm ok. I agree that 130 hrs is too early, but I do have an IMC rating, I would need to do a night rating before I start, and I'd probably do the full 50hrs hour building before I started too, so I suppose I am talking about starting early next year with about 200 hours. Maybe there is a school I could use... but at
By Ivy
The IMC is Mickey Mouse in comparison to the level of flying for the IR. Training costs in a single will be close on
By Ivy
Is that rate for IR training? If you can afford it, financially and time, I would advise do it
By 2Donkeys
Listen to Ivy. She and Beryl are handing out good advice, and have the same concerns about your overall experience that I do.

Ladies, we should meet up ;-))
By Rob Pritchard
I'm confused 2D

Where does Beryl come into all this?

Rob P
By GA Celeb
A bit harsh to call the IMC mickey mouse - however if we are slagging off ratings......I've heard that the FAA/IR is pretty goofy too.

Rob S
By 2Donkeys
No question that the FAA IR is a very easily-won rating by comparison to its JAA equivalent.

The theoretical knowledge requirement, as well as the standard of flying required are lower for the FAA ticket. A quick look at the published practical test standards will confirm this, just in case anybody suspects bias here.

"So why aren't American Airliners getting lost or falling out of the sky all the time then?" comes the cry.

Because the FAA ATP flight test, which all on board will have passed, is much more demanding than our CPL/ATPL GFT and there is no concept of a Frozen ATPL, so that everybody on board that airliner will have at the very least 1500 hours. Not the 300 hours that some manage today in the UK.

2D