Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By PaulB
#1530811
I seem to remember a Cessna (poss a 172) when I lived there as a kid... (that'd be the mid 70's)

I may be mistaken.....
By pullup
#1530995
vintage ATCO wrote:It is amazing just how many people first flew from Southport beach. One of the Directors in NATS retired last year and went round all the airports to say goodbye. We were idly chatting and discovered we both 'first flew' in G-ACEJ from Southport about eight years apart!

The 'five-bob joy ride' must have started a lot of people in aviation.


Indeed add me to that list. 1956 as a 9 year old!
Always been my ambition to fly it as P1!
Won't happen!!
By pullup
#1530996
pullup wrote:
vintage ATCO wrote:It is amazing just how many people first flew from Southport beach. One of the Directors in NATS retired last year and went round all the airports to say goodbye. We were idly chatting and discovered we both 'first flew' in G-ACEJ from Southport about eight years apart!

The 'five-bob joy ride' must have started a lot of people in aviation.


Indeed, add me to that list. 1956 as a 9 year old!
Always been my ambition to fly it as P1!
Won't happen!!
User avatar
By kanga
#1530999
I too remember the Fox at Speke, parked outside the Liverpool Flying Club lean-to offices outside the hangar by the back (Garston) gate, which was left open to the public road in that era (mid '60s). I was working in various dogsbody ground jobs for British Eagle during school holidays.
User avatar
By rohmer
#1531137
I, too, as a kid, was influenced by an enjoyable flight in 'CEJ at Southport, my 2nd airborne experience after a trip in the Airviews' Auster J1N G-AGXN at Ringway in 1959.
By chevvron
#1531145
vintage ATCO wrote:It was Mrs Claire Roberts who flew G-ADDI. I think Chris was her husband who formed Chrisair. Did it operate off the beach at Southport? I never saw it there and was there often visiting a favourite uncle. I flew in Fox Moth G-ACEJ from there but in G-ADDI from Squires Gate. Sadly it went to the US in 1971.

I flew in 'DI from Luton on 8 Dec 1964 with Claire Roberts as pilot. It was my first civil flight (I'd already flown as an ATC cadet in Argosy, Chipmunk, Piston Provost, Shackleton and several other types and had my ATC Gliding Badge) and also my first in a biplane and first with a female pilot. 8)
Last edited by chevvron on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1663597
PaulB wrote:I seem to remember a Cessna (poss a 172) when I lived there as a kid... (that'd be the mid 70's)

I may be mistaken.....


Well, I was correct with the aircraft but wrong with the decade.... or should I say that I'd acquired a camera by the time this pic was taken in May 1982. (It would have been a Canon AE1 bought from Comet on Lord Street, Southport)

Birkdale has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but these were clearly Southport - just South of the pier.

Image
Image
Lockhaven liked this
#1663653
PaulB wrote:
PaulB wrote:I seem to remember a Cessna (poss a 172) when I lived there as a kid... (that'd be the mid 70's)

I may be mistaken.....


Well, I was correct with the aircraft but wrong with the decade.... or should I say that I'd acquired a camera by the time this pic was taken in May 1982. (It would have been a Canon AE1 bought from Comet on Lord Street, Southport)

Birkdale has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but these were clearly Southport - just South of the pier.

Image
Image


I think I have flown that C172 will have to check my logbooks.
#1663655
Lockhaven wrote:I think I have flown that C172 will have to check my logbooks.


It still appears to be registered.
#1663670
Lockhaven wrote:Birkdale has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but these were clearly Southport - just South of the pier.


Maybe he just landed very long?

Rob P
#1663673
Rob P wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:Birkdale has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but these were clearly Southport - just South of the pier.


That was me I think.....

Maybe he just landed very long?


Landed short (by a mile or so) I'd say, if they were aiming for Birkdale. The landing photo is looking North(ish). If you squint you can see Lytham/St Annes at the other side of the Ribble.