Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Neil Gascoigne
Trip over the channel - which side would you need to clear customs, if at all? Does this apply for outbound and inbound legs?
By Irv Lee
Uk-France, clear French customs in France.
France-UK, clear French customs outbound in France, give 4 hours notice to UK Customs of UK inbound flight OR arrive at permanent UK customs airfield.

Only involve SB if flight/to from Channel Islands, Ireland or IoM.
By Dave Gittins
As far as I am aware, you don't need to clear customs on this side but need to land initially at a customs airfield "over there" and clear customs.

I spoke to UK Customs on their main help number foiund on their web site (www.hmce.gov.uk) back in July and they were not interested in our little Cherokee going from Fairoaks to Le Touquet and back. They said that the pamphlet "Misc 30 - Flying your aircraft to and from the UK" had been withdrawn as it was no longer relevant and we could proceed without their involvement, knowledge or interest.

Fairoaks Tower however insisted that with a flight plan to Le Touquet we filled in a "Customs Clearance form" with names, ages, passport numbers and all sorts and they faxed it to somebody (I have still not managed to find out where). Some tales abound in our club of occasional returning aircraft being met by the boys in blue (never Customs) and their being subjected to lengthy searches and detailed questioning and being given un-rivalled opportunities to enhance their skills and rebuild the Cherokee after the Bill has departed.

So .... there is still a little confusion on the matter. Were it not for Fairoaks insistence, I wouldn't have told anybody. Maybe I should get a letter from HMCE that says they aen't going to trouble themselves and the form filling will be reduced next time.

Anybody else got any definitive knowledge - or does anybody from Customs read this site and can comment ???

This does seem to be a FAQ - 3rd time I've seen it in as many months and I believe AOPA have also been in on the hunt ... so maybe a knowledgeable article in a certain magazine ????
By Dave Gittins
Our messages crossed Irv.

You say what I've always understood (4 hrs notice etc ) .... i.e. what Fairoaks say about filing a Customs Form with the Outbound flight plan to give about the right time.

BUT - Customs told me the different tale ... the girl on the helpline even went to look for her supervisor who confirmed it and also looked (in vain) in the cupboard for an old copy of Misc 30 she could send me.

Like I said .. when I get 5 minutes I'll send HMCE a letter and see what they are prepared to go into print with.
By pa28
I too have questioned Fairoaks about their form filling red tape on flights to France which included immigration related questions and was told it was a customs requirement. This was not the view of the customs at Guildford. Who stated there is no customs requirement outbound fom the UK. Headcorn is an easy & cheap alternative to the form filling out trolls. As this is related to foreign flights, does anyone know if having filed a flight plan to return to the UK to an airfield that will have closed by the time you arrive one assumes you will have to close the flight plan & if so who would know you had not arrived on time?
By john
PA28,
inbound to the UK you are required to have a responsible person who has your details and if you do not arrive they then inform the relevent authorities. That's the plan anyway.
By pa28
Yeah seems right...are there any official references you know of I can take a peek at?
By Pilot Pete
pa 28,
There is a safety sence leaflet available from the ais web site. Sorry, don't have time to find the link for you, but I've printed it out and keep it at home. It details all you need to know about G.A. flight plans.

The definitive answer to the customs question is as Irv has said, although an airfield may dissagree.
We were met by three nice HMCE chaps two sundays ago. Right on the time of our intended arrival, at out notified field.
Lots of questions but no drama and very informal (coz we were good guys) try bringing in something dodgy and that day would have ended a little differently.
By Irv Lee
Yes, it's true some AIRFIELDS insist on harsher requirements, (like an unnecessary 'GenDEc' form on the way out), but that's probably because they don't understand the rules and by doing more than is necessary are making sure they do enough !
By Dave Gittins
On the question of who knows if you aren't back... We returned to Fairoaks after they had gone home, so made a quick call to Heathrow to close the flight plan. I did try to do it with London info on 124.6 after we coasted in at Seaford but they can't.

The link to Safety Sense leaflets is :-

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/general_aviation/document.asp?groupid=231
By Pilot Pete
Corrct me if i'm wrong but I seem to remember that you don't need to close a flight plan to a designated unmanned field. You are supposed to nominate someone to call them if you don't arrive. they assume that no news is good news.
You only need to notify them if you have appointed them as your responsible person.
By Wendy Lenden
I was advised to phone Machester flight planning to close our flight plan as soon as we had landed on our return from the IOM,the nice man took our details and did'nt seemed surprised
, so presume that was right.There was no one at the strip that day,to be the responsible person.
By Neil Gascoigne
Like...which safety leaflet? :-)