Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Old Pilot
Anyone remember Marcus Edwards and the old Rothmans Aerobatic team. Marcus was an old ex Fleet Air Arm pilot who later ran Vixen Two. Sadly John Mclean, his partner (another Rothmans pilot), and another pilot called Andy Wallbridge died in a mid air over Southport beach in the mid 80,s.

There was also a team engineer called Bob Lea who later ran an engineering set up at Bristol.
By Rob S
Yes I do, certainly some of them were registered G-BADW, X, Y and Z if I remember correctly - aorunf about 1974 at Biggin Hill?

Rob S
By Rob P
I remember seeing Phillip Meeson dead-stick a Rothmans Pitts at Old Warden back in the late '70s.

He now runs Channel Express

Rob P
By Paul
You have four of the registrations correct Rob but what was the registration of the 5th (spare) Pitts?
Perhaps Reggie Lister is losing his touch.....
By MichaelP
Philip Meeson ran his own aerobatic team later with Brendan O'Brien as one of his wing men.

I believe G WREN is an ex Rothmans machine, reregistered.

Don't forget that they started off with a much better aeroplane, the Stampe.
By Rob S
Ooh a bit of a challenge - like it. I remember that they had G-RKSF (Rothmans King Size Filter) but I think that was a mock up - G-AXNZ?

Well I know this is the right answer because I cheated and looked it up on Google.

Poor Reggie to much vin rouge last night

Rob S
By Mike Jerram
My far from perfect memory tells me that the original 1970 members of the Rothmans Aerobatic Team were Manx Kelly, Neil Williams, Iain Weston and Ray Hoggarth. Andrew White and Mike Findlay had replaced Neil and Ray on the team by 1972, when they were still flying the Stampes, and Nick Daniel was commentator. Barry Tempest also flew with them that season, famously surviving an horrendous low-level mid-air between his Rothman's Stampe G-AYGR and Tiger Moth G-ANMO during a Barnstormers' flour-bombing contest at Weston-super-Mare that July.

The first five Rothman's Pitts S-2As were the four as already listed, plus G-BAEA. That was destroyed in a post take-of crash at Sywell on 19 April 1976, seriously injuring the team commentator and his passenger, 'Flight International's' then General Aviation Editor Cliff Barnett. Cliff was later to die in a mid-air between the Aztec he was flying and a Beech 1900 during an air-to-air photo session over Hanover; 'Flight's' talented young photographer Stephen Pearcy was also killed, along with another photographer.

In addition to that initial batch of Pitts S-2As (subsequently added to as replacements were required), Manx also had the homebuilt two-aileron S-1C G-AXNZ, built by Wally Berry and Bert Etheridge at Old Warden. It was painted in Rothman's colours, but I don't think it was ever flown in displays. There was also a static display S-2A which had truncated wings for transporting around by road for promotional work, and wore the spurious registration 'G-RKSF' (Rothman's King Size Filters!).
By Paul
Yep Mike is spot on with all his details.
It's back to Riverside Park and football for Reggie I'm afraid.
By Rob S
Bloody freeserve - I write a post and it all crashes.

Anyway Paul you must have read my book (good man straight away then) or live in Southampton or both or neither - is your surname Wills perchance?

A+AEE Riverside Park where the ghost of the 10/- KeilKraft P51 Mustang lives on.

I just hope Reggie Liszter has got his 4 puzzles correct and that someone buys the book and solves them. (Even though I say it myself I think the puzzles are pretty good for aviation minded people, Mike Jerram is a clear candidate to solve all four puzzles and win
By Mike Jerram
As a Portmuthian and (currently expatriate) Pompey fan I find that word 'Southampton' deeply offensive, Rob...
By Old Pilot
I met Barry Tempest a few years back.Real ga man.Ex instructer at Leicester and also the GA guy at the CAA for a while. Didn't his daughter Helen wingwalk?

But who remembers Marcus Edwards/John McLean and the Vixen team?
By MichaelP
"The eyes of the CAA are upon you Michael" said Barry Tempest at Fairford one year.
It was a cloudy rainy day and I was about to do a brilliant display in the WAR Focke Wulf 190.
Later Barry did a cloud busting display in the Stearman, not really legal... but those were the days.

Barry's famous for a dunking he and his daughter had in a river. Ensure that you agree on the direction you'll each swim, before ditching the aeroplane.

Rod Dean has Barry's job and more at the CAA. Rod and I shared the ownership in G BIZN for a while. Rod owned a share in the Focke Wulf above as well.
Rod flew in the twin boom duo, and needed me to fly the FW...
Later Rod flew the Mustang, and then I should have flown the Mustang... but a US licence was not in my pocket at the time!
It's good to know that the CAA has the right sort of people in its ranks.

A Transport Canada examiner (aerobatic) came in here one day saying that he'd done a sixteen point roll in a Tiger Moth!
I asked him how much height he'd lost.
None was the answer... I said that he must have used Vne plus fifty knots on entry!
Some people have over inflated ego's in this game, and assume that they're talking to idiots.
I have more than a few hours in Tiger Moths.

You should be glad that the CAA is not as onerous as some authorities!
By 2Donkeys
Rod the God has moved on Michael. Once he's packed his bags, you'll find him in Antigua, the Caymans and Bermuda.

I assume he'll still pause for the odd display at Duxford from time to time. His Sabre displays are very impressive.