Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Adrian W
Has anyone tried out the new Navman GPS moving map which plugs into an existing IPAQ handheld computer?

I was looking at buying a Garmin Pilot III, but as I Already have an IPAQ could this be a better bet? and it is colour!

So far all I have seen are the pictures in the Transair catalogue and I would really appreciate having some more objective info.

Thanks

Adrian W
By Chris Preston
No experience of either sorry but I would guess the Garmin unit would be more reliable;

Only 1 battery to fail, run out
Only 1 unit
Better build quality for cockpit use?
By poetpilot
I like the Garmin Pilot III personally. Monochrome but great battery life, and it does the job superbly. No wires, no mess, sits in handy places, reliable, easy to use (more time for eyes outside the cockpit rather than inside).

The more bits you have, the more opportunity for confusion, failure, misinterpretation, mis-programming, etc etc. Bearing in mind that you SHOULD also have to hand kneeboard, map, stopwatch, flight guides, etc for primary nav, another loose unit would just be too much for me.

K.I.S.S. is my motto ..... BTW I bought the GPS originally when I had a Luton Minor share and was worried about maps flying out of the open cockpit!
By Russ
I have the Navman GPS 3000, it's great.
I primarily use it on my bike and it sticks to the windscreen even at 160mph, although it has been known to fall off when stationary (go figure) otherwise it is pretty accurate!

I presume you are planning to use the winpilot vfr program for the aviation map matching?

Acquisition time can be a bit slower than normal, but that is probably because you're using the IPAQ's power. Mine ran for over 2 hours before the first battery warning poped up, which is not bad.

I can only suggest that if you plan to use the roadmaps as well, then wait for the 3400 series, which is due any day now, otherwise the 3000 series is the same unit, but it just has older software.

Any questions, feel free to ask :o)

Russ
By Russ
>18 hours battery time on the Pilot III

The cost of living in monochrome world ;o)

Navman comes with IPAQ in car/plane/anything-with-a-12V-ciggie-lighter-socket charger as i'm sure the Pilot III does.

How much as a PilotIII?
By poetpilot
WAS about £450 inc VAT in the UK when I got mine in Dec 01. Prob a bit cheaper now. But I got mine as a present from a mate in the US, via Sportys online shop so it worked out about £350.
By Nick
Hi Adrian
We reviewed GCAS Flight Companion's software for the iPAQ in May's Flyer; WinPilot VFR in August and Anywhere Map and Memory-Map software in the current (September) issue. Navman will be in October reviews (out on Sept 29). Hope that's some help.
Nick
Flyer Ed
By Adrian
That will teach me to let my subscription lapse, I missed all the articles I needed!

Better sort that out then. I had better sort that out.

The Navman I was looking it uses the CAA digitised charts and the MM Navigator software and is £499 from Transair. So I would end up with a colour moving map, but only a 2 hour battery life, which sounds like the main drawback.

I think the actual GPS part is the Nvman 3000, I wonder what the difference will be with the Navman 3400.
By Gary
I have had the Navman GPS for about 4 months now.

Software wise I have NAVgps basic, which is American in origin, but has European database. Features include HSI display & EFIS full colour with all the usual facilities, Track. ETA etc. is also quite cheap

Also have EFIS CE which is British. Also has Aircfaft database, and fuel planning. Feature with this software is hat you can scan in CAA chart and overlay HSI or EFIS gps data.

Power is a consideration, I have a power socket on instrument panel. Also a good mount is essential. Only possible down side is that Navman has no facility for an external aerial, which may compromise signal quality.

Gary
By Russ
I have just 'found' the EFIS product, and it looks quite good, gonna try scanning maps into it and see how that goes.
For 70 quid, it's a pretty good product.

Adrian, there is no difference between the 3000 and the 3400 GPS cradle, it's just the road navigation software, which now includes (on 3400) voice guidance and dynamic re-routing which the 3000 didn't have.

Russ
By Colin Granton
Hi,

I've got a GPS III pilot for sale for £330 if you need one.
colin.granton@ntlworld.com
By Daniel
Is the unit still for sale if so send me details of age of unit E.T.C
By bluemoon
Does anyone have web addresses for UK/Europe based suppliers of the Anywhere Map package for my iPAQ. I take the points about built of the flying environment but I already have an onboard Garmin 150 and Locator and this would be a "nice to have" - if the price is right!