Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 1SteveTodd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Looking for some reliable signposting, please........
Colleagues from the USA are wishing to hire a French registered aircraft and use it for a contest in another EASA signatory state. They have just been advised that from 21st June 2022 the DGAC will no longer validate an ICAO licence and requires them to have an EASA issued licence.
Anyone in France or from our licence experts point the way to:
[list=]What the extra requirements will now be to get the full ticket from France starting with the FAA licence?
How long will it typically take? (Deadline will be end of July).
Is there a shorter route for an FAA licence holder to obtain an EASA licence?[/list]
Some anxious pilots await your assistance. Thanks in advance!
Steve
By 1SteveTodd
Irv Lee wrote:I take it this is an 'easa aircraft'? You might find them more shoulder shruggingly amenable if it is not

Irv
Yes, multiple certified aircraft and multiple pilots.
By 1SteveTodd
low&slow wrote:
  • EASA class 2 medical
  • Air law & human performance exams
  • 100+ hours (PIC or P/UT)
  • Demonstrate language proficiency
  • Pass PPL skill test

Any idea if that is French language proficiency as well as English?
By low&slow
Sorry, don't know; I'm just quoting Part FCL. You would have to contact a French ATO/DTO for complete details.

An alternative might be to get an Irish licence. A major fly in the ointment might be the length of time it takes to issue the licence. If they are planning to be at Leszno in early August don't expect the national authority to issue a temporary 'certificate' (they might do, but I would confirm it.) If not, it might take weeks for the licence to arrive by post.
Last edited by low&slow on Fri May 27, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1SteveTodd liked this
By Ibra
If they are visiting and they are not residents in France, they can rent & fly N-reg without restrictions

To rent F-reg and participate in another country contest with ICAO validation of FAA PPL? that seems like mission impossible (don't ask me how I know), first, the DGAC validation of FAA PPL is only valid in French airspace only, second, no one hires an aircraft in France the moment you show them an ICAO validation paper :eye:

I am curious if this ever worked in the past? none of the statements above depends on 21 June 2022 date, although, I am aware residents have to hold EASA licence to fly EASA aircraft...

To get EASA licence low&slow has posted what is required, one can tick these boxes in two months :thumright: there are 3 ATO who speak English in Brest, Paris, Cannes...but one can get EASA licence to fly F-reg in any EASA ATO, there are plenty of EASA ATO in the UK, it does not have to be DGAC
1SteveTodd liked this
By skydriller
Reading about an American trying to get an EASA PPL got me thinking:

What happenned to all those "Get your PPL in the USA" outfits in Florida and Arizona? Is there anywhere in the US that could do this, or did EASA rules eventually shut those places down?
By 1SteveTodd
skydriller wrote:Reading about an American trying to get an EASA PPL got me thinking:

What happened to all those "Get your PPL in the USA" outfits in Florida and Arizona? Is there anywhere in the US that could do this, or did EASA rules eventually shut those places down?

That is one of the options being considered if anyone has any recommendations for an appropriately qualified school.
By Adrian
Some of the advice above is out of date following implementation by France of the FAA / EASA BASA.

Your friends will need:
    FAA Private, Commercial or ATP certificate (not Sport Pilot or Recreational Pilot)
    Current FAA medical. Needs to be Class 1 or 2.
    Current EASA medical - class 1 or 2
    Current BFR
    Evidence of English language proficiency to at least level 4
    To fly IFR you need 50 hours IFR flight time as PIC after issuance of your FAA IR, and proof of currency or a recent IPC

It may be a good idea to get an FCC restricted radio operator’s license which is required for flight outside the US. It’s a simple online application.

You will probably also need an FAA letter of verification of your airman certificate. You can get this online through the FAA website. It will serve as proof of English proficiency, and the French will endorse your EASA licence as level 4 proficient. (To get level 5 or 6 they make you take a language test, even if English is the only language you speak!)

Next you need to fill in this application form: https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/sites/defa ... ormlic.pdf

Then you need to find a French ATO to do a PPL skill test. You will be required to demonstrate familiarity with air law and comms, but there is no written test.

I’m not aware of a requirement to speak French, if you can find an English-speaking examiner for the skill test. But lots of French airfields require French language.

To validate an instrument rating you will need to take a IR flight test with an examiner, who will test your knowledge of air law, IR comms and flight planning. There is no written test, unless you mess up the oral questions. (Before actually flying IFR you will need to find a local pilot who can explain how IFR flight planning in Europe really works... answering the examiners questions correctly may not be the same thing as actually being able to find an acceptable IFR routing. )

Can it done by the end of July? Sometimes French bureaucracy can be surprisingly slick, but I wouldn’t count on it in this case.

Good luck!
1SteveTodd liked this
By Ibra
You may want to get in touch with Vintage Aero Academy in La Ferte Alais (LFFQ), I am not sure they have something to rent? but they have EASA ATO, FAA chaps and few Pitts & Extras looping from time to time with both N-reg & F-reg tail numbers :thumleft:

PS: before getting my DGAC PPL, I used to rent their J3 NC Cub with my FAA PPL (my CAA PPL stopped working on F-reg in Jan21 and my ex-aeroclub kicked me out of the list of pilots, "Brexit et tout ça" :lol: )
1SteveTodd liked this