Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My PPL mate was fond of the old saw "undercarriage down and welded" on approach in the various 150s and 172s I flew in with him, along with "we're still alive!" when he turned off the mags at each stop. Phew!
By chevvron
Hooligan wrote:My PPL mate was fond of the old saw "undercarriage down and welded"

Same with AEF pilots when I flew with them; part of the standard RAF checklist.
By Mikey
Interesting reading in the link above that Heraklion is captains only for Easyjet - it's not the case for us (B737), but it can be challenging in certain wind conditions. The RNAV approach has a 3.4 degree descent path so one might drop the gear earlier to keep airspeed under control. On a normal 3 degree ILS glidepath the gear typically goes down between 7 and 5 DME.
malcolmfrost liked this
By Milty
Thank you all again for your input. Would definitely have been an interesting approach on Sunday with some retry strong winds from the south directly across the runway. Looking nice and calm today for ur departure (assuming we’re not one of those caught up in the cancelled flights).
By MattL
chevvron wrote:
Hooligan wrote:My PPL mate was fond of the old saw "undercarriage down and welded"

Same with AEF pilots when I flew with them; part of the standard RAF checklist.

RAF pre landing checks are type specific and there is no standard one - undercarriage has certainly never been part of Chipmunk, Bulldog or Tutor checks.

I detest BUMPFFITCH teaching - I think getting students to ‘check’ irrelevant items is really bad HF conditioning; just sets people up to fail either when moving on to complex aircraft or to skip over stuff routinely
A le Ron liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
MattL wrote:I detest BUMPFFITCH teaching - I think getting students to ‘check’ irrelevant items is really bad HF conditioning; just sets people up to fail either when moving on to complex aircraft or to skip over stuff routinely

Not as much as brainlessness.

Each to their own. I use mnemonics and have done so for more than 45 years, so far without any problems and have mixed flying/gliding in many different types. The bits of the mnemonic not applicable one can skip.

Mind you I also fly without gloves..
mick w liked this
By skydriller
PaulSS wrote:
undercarriage has certainly never been part ofChipmunk, Bulldog or Tutor checks.

Haha, I thought exactly the same when I read Chevron’s post :D

And there was I thinking I was going do-lally, SD issues and memory fadr on one day... :lol:
By A4 Pacific
RAF pre landing checks are type specific and there is no standard one - undercarriage has certainly never been part of Chipmunk, Bulldog or Tutor checks.

It’s well over 40 years ago I learned to fly in a Chipmunk. “My Friend Fred Has Hairy B(whatsits!)

Some visions are difficult to lose from your mind! :shock:
A le Ron liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
EFATO?

There is a time and place for everything.

Checklists on the ground and for fault finding in the air when it is something complex for which a mnemonic doesn't work.

In the air and 'first aid emergency' stuff use your noddle.
By A4 Pacific
I would say it’s not always the ‘complex’ that confounds the human brain’s frailties. Sometimes the simplest of things can be just as problematic. I would also say there are few non-normals that genuinely require Immediate Action. Essential ‘time critical’ IAs should certainly be committed to memory. Other than those, just the time taken in consciously pausing and reaching for a checklist, is every bit as helpful as the contents of such a list.

Understanding the ‘Chimp Paradox’ by Steve Peters gives the precise background as to why that is the case. Using checklists is absolutely not a ‘weakness’ however familiar you may be with their content. In my experience, actively choosing not to use a checklist when one is readily available can reveal a problematic attitude?

As always, fly the aircraft before you do anything else, and never stop.

As always, other opinions are available.