Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By john ball
We are planning a trip in our RV6 to Chambery and Dijon Darois. Does anyone know of any tips or problems at either of these two airfields. We will be clearing customs into France at LFAT as the most convenient and easiest from SE England. I have information from SkyDemon, but more interested in people experiences.

Also whilst in the general area, does anyone know of any other airfields with nice relaxing hotels or Chateau’s to stay at for a night or two.

We are possibly then going to fly across to Aurillac to see friends - not been to that airfield.

Not been to Chambery or Dijon D for over 20 years.
By TLRippon
Nothing much has changed at Chambery in the last 20 years, Dijon built a new restaurant and was having problems opening it, last time I was there was three years ago. Simple airport to use though.

Edit: Sorry that was Dijon L not D
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dijon-Darois three weeks ago was fine, if somewhat sleepy.

Self-Service fuel pumps (with a TOTAL card) and a pleasant friendly aero club when open. Flight planning info etc available when it is. No restaurant, I believe.

About €25 Euros for a taxi into the city (recommended).

Consider Calais LFAC to clear Customs into Schengen - cheaper, quicker than LFAT, also with self-service TOTAL pumps and a pleasant restaurant.
By Iceman
You missed the very desirable fly-in Château La Chassagne in the Dijon area by a few years, unfortunately. That was a gem.

Iceman 8)
By Ibra
Chambery is usually calm in summer (it's busy in winter with ski and needs permission & hamdling although this year they took piston traffic as they did not get much jets to ski from Russia, so they may have become more friendly), they have strict weather minima (the operator has invented a new definition of VMC in after one TB20 crashed), the Lac des Motettes is worth a visit for a swim or picnic!

For other suggestions noth west of Aurillac, if you are happy with short strips, you may want to visit:
- Pressignac-Vicq (LF2432) guesthouse & farm
- Belzagot Champ Rose (LF1654) guesthouse & farm

Both are ULM strips with Chateaux feel and they would take an RV :thumleft:
john ball liked this
By john ball
Thanks for the replies. Am I going to have problems in France if I don’t have a Total or BP card ? I will be paying for fuel with cash or CC. Last time I flew to Beziers via Limoges in 2015 and direct to Angouleme in 2018, I always paid by cash or CC. Have things changed ?
By Dave W
I have in the past always paid by cash and cc, partly because TOTAL would not previously issue a card unless you had French bank account.

They have now changed that policy, and the trip last month was the first with my new cards. The French airfields (Calais, Epernay, Dijon-Darois and Le Touquet) I went to for refuelling all had TOTAL pumps, and apart from Le Touquet there was nobody around when I landed to enable an alternative means of payment. There was when it came to departure, so presumably I would have had a solution but less convenient.

The other thing I had not realised until recently was that the TOTAL (and maybe AirBP) prices can be cheaper with their card than paying at the desk. At Le Touquet, for example, the price was €3.02 at the desk but €2.76 at the pump.
By UV
Forget Chambery! Joking
But if you are in that area Annecy is an absolute must. Preferably stay overnight and spend an afternoon or evening on the lakeside.
On departure fly down the lake and around the surrounding mountains.
Probably the most beautiful airfield and surroundings in the whole of Europe.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By djtaylor
We went into Chambery three or four years ago, hired a car from Enterprise ( not previously booked) and stayed in small hotel by the lake. The airport was quiet and cheap, BP card I think. We had lunch in the excellent airport restaurant. Great approach over the lake of course.