Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
And they want to run a rally there...... :roll:
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well if microlights can do it... :wink: Not that I've ever landed there yet :lol: was merely an observer. I could barely land at totally unobtructed Fenland on Saturday :roll:
Last edited by StratoTramp on Fri May 27, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
By TopCat
Trent772 wrote:And they want to run a rally there...... :roll:

I can already see the plumes of smoke from the petrol station, visible from 50 miles away :roll:

Seriously, people... if you can't steer round a little tree like that, don't go to Popham.

Go to a nice licensed airfield somewhere with guaranteed clear approaches, where you don't have to fly a bendy final, and you can drag it in flat from as far out as you need to achieve a stabilised approach. Whatever one of those is.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
I remember the tree - shown here from the Virb footage when landing for the Microlight Trade Fair this year.

Ian
By StratoTramp
Doesn't look that bad on video - Say compared to Sackville. Will put anything that comes back from Forest Holidays on here.
By PeteSpencer
I find it extra ordinary that an airfield which already has a reputation for poor circuit discipline in part due to a seemingly uncontrolled mix of microlights of all types and GA (and in addition is forced to require a cranked approach due to hazards in the undershoot ), is happy to tolerate an obstruction of significant height on the extended centreline so close to the threshold :shock:

Edit for accuracy It did cross my mind when I first wrote that that it might not be licensed but couldn’t be ars ed to check :lol:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri May 27, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
@PeteSpencer Popham is unlicensed I believe (03 is not used very much outside of events) but agree that it would be better if the tree wasn't there.

Ian
By lobstaboy
PeteSpencer wrote:I find it extra ordinary that a licensed airfield which already has a reputation for poor circuit discipline in part due to a seemingly uncontrolled mix of microlights of all types and GA (and in addition is forced to require a cranked approach due to hazards in the undershoot ), is happy to tolerate an obstruction of significant height on the extended centreline so close to the threshold :shock:

Oh come on Pete!
'a reputation for poor circuit discipline due to an uncontrolled mix of microlights of all types and GA...'
How do you suggest resolving that then? And...
Popham is unlicensed.
Microlights are GA.
Popham has always been at heart a PFA and microlight permit aircraft field.
By MichaelP
I posted the picture following comments about it on an earlier thread.

It is not for any of us to take individual action on this without the agreement of the aerodrome manager.

The image is for the interest of those of us likely to fly into Popham.

Go beside the tree, or over the top of it, the important point is to have awareness of its existence.
G-BLEW, StratoTramp, mick w and 3 others liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
rf3flyer wrote:@G-BLEW Gawd, that nagging little pear shaped gadget on the coaming would drive me nuts!

We all have our crosses to bear (it was a product test years ago). Landing at a strip unknown to the Garmin is interesting… "Too slow, too slow, terrain terrain too slow, terrain…"

Apart from the (purposely annoying) voice, the indications can be quite interetsing

Ian
By StratoTramp
MichaelP wrote:I posted the picture following comments about it on an earlier thread.

It is not for any of us to take individual action on this without the agreement of the aerodrome manager.

Go beside the tree, or over the top of it, the important point is to have awareness of its existence.

Point taken Michael, I misunderstood your intention and I'm a bit too quick for action :thumleft:
By chevvron
MichaelP wrote:I posted the picture following comments about it on an earlier thread.

Land on runway 05 at Figari in southern Corsica and there's a bloody great rock in the same place, even though 737s use the airfield.
The airfield is only open daylight hours because of this rock.
By GAFlyer4Fun
StratoTramp wrote:Well if microlights can do it... :wink: Not that I've ever landed there yet :lol: was merely an observer. I could barely land at totally unobtructed Fenland on Saturday :roll:

Well if a PC12 can do it.... and a microlight can do it.... then it should be fine for the rest of GA in between!
StratoTramp liked this
By PeteSpencer
lobstaboy wrote:
Oh come on Pete!
'a reputation for poor circuit discipline due to an uncontrolled mix of microlights of all types and GA...'
How do you suggest resolving that then? And...
Popham is unlicensed.
Microlights are GA.
Popham has always been at heart a PFA and microlight permit aircraft field.

Not my pigeon: I’ll leave the resolution to others, as having been twice caught up in the cr ap discipline ( G/around x2 and 3x respectively ) I won’t be going there again anytime soon :wink: