Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The tree is never going to worry the microlight pilots, they tend to fly base leg up runway 08 at sub 200ft then just swing left to touch down.
Popeye liked this
By TopCat
Lefty wrote:The tree is never going to worry the microlight pilots, they tend to fly base leg up runway 08 at sub 200ft then just swing left to touch down.

A bit like my image then.

Who'd want to fly a great long final over a wood, anyway? Bonkers.
Popeye liked this
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:I find it extra ordinary that an airfield .... require a cranked approach due to hazards in the undershoot

What, like a petrol station? That is to be avoided, so much so that there's a white arrow painted on the ground to show where final should be flown?

The 26 dogleg has been standard for at least 30 years (ie since before I first started landing there), and requires a much sharper turn than that little tree.

Like I said, if a pilot can't steer round a piffling little tree, as Ian proved trivially easy in his vid, go somewhere the fark else.
Spooky liked this
By TopCat
rf3flyer wrote:@G-BLEW Gawd, that nagging little pear shaped gadget on the coaming would drive me nuts!

And that AoA warning, "too slow, too slow".

Switch that damn thing off. Right now, I'm not even joking. Don't make me come over there.

Although, of course, given that it was on, kudos for a nice slow approach. But still turn it off.
By PeteSpencer
Hazards in the undershoot even when known can bite yer bum if conditions are not perfect.
Dan Gryder ( Google him) describes a fatality in the last coupla months in suboptimal conditions in USA when an AC ?PC12) hit a known tower directly in the undershoot ,obscured temporarily by steam .

My FAA /IR examiner during my pre check ride oral in FL grilled me on an approach plate with a vertical obstruction in the ILS approach just off the centre line which had killed a mate of his a few months previously .

He had me pore over the plate for many minutes before I (thankfully) spotted the problem , passed the oral and then checkride.

But hey, horses for courses: in the case of Popham I have already for several years adhered to @TopCat ‘s colourful advice :wink:

Edit for typo
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat May 28, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat liked this
By JodelDavo
Irv Lee wrote:The Popham aurfield owner was killed by trees in the undershoot in the 90s... But at Blackbushe

I think hitting the ground was the cause of death, but I hear what you’re saying.

If pilots find obstacles in the undershoot of an unlicensed aerodrome a problem, they can always go to a licensed one where the obstacle environment will be assured and their superior skills won’t be tested.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
G-BLEW wrote:We all have our crosses to bear (it was a product test years ago). Landing at a strip unknown to the Garmin is interesting… "Too slow, too slow, terrain terrain too slow, terrain…"

Sky Demon can do something similar if you land somewhere not in the plan.

"Aerodrome ahead, 12 o'clock, xxxft below."

Which becomes more frantic until...

"Aerodrome ahead, 12 o'clock, same height!"

TopCat wrote:Who'd want to fly a great long final over a wood, anyway? Bonkers.

Sometimes you have to do it due to traffic ahead. There's a noise abatement area around the downwind to base turn, so you can either turn inside it or carry on past it before turning.
By Loco parentis
Irv Lee wrote:The Popham aurfield owner was killed by trees in the undershoot in the 90s... But at Blackbushe

I think engine failure and a forced landing into a field at Hartley Wintney - short of Blackbushe - and then an on board fire.