Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I just picked up a new battery set for a friend’s ELT, and I was hoping to take it in my hand baggage. It’s within the CAA guidelines, but the box has a sticker “CARGO AIRCRAFT ONLY” “FORBIDDEN IN PASSENGER AIRCRAFT”.

This makes me more than a little nervous taking it in my hand baggage even without the box.
So I’m looking for a shipping company willing to take it.

If these batteries are illegal in passenger aircraft, then why are ELTs for passenger aircraft fitted with them?
Probably the manufacturer thinks that they are legally protected by some kind of disclaimer, tho' how that works in practice wouldn't make much sense ! Perhaps they are made in China !

It is topical. My paper reported (Wed. 25th) that a bus propelled by power from lithium batteries had burst into flames which then engulfed a further two vehicles.
By Josh
Lots of things that are part of an aircraft’s certified equipment fit are considered dangerous goods when not fitted. Oxygen generators are another example.

Check with your airline the maximum energy capacity of batteries allowed to be carried in the cabin. 100 Wh is the maximum my employer permits in cabin baggage only.
By PeteSpencer
I ordered a Lithium battery powered equatorial motor for my reflector astronomical telescope from a supplier in Germany last month:

It arrived sans batteries despite the outside label declaring the contents of Lithium cells. (which were included in the price).

There followed a protracted email dialogue with the suppliers who declared they weren't allowed to send batteries 'outside the EU'.

Grudgingly I eventually got a credit note *which I doubt I will ever need to use).

The 'B' word I guess..................
By StratoTramp
Loco parentis wrote:It is topical. My paper reported (Wed. 25th) that a bus propelled by power from lithium batteries had burst into flames which then engulfed a further two vehicles.

This was 3 weeks back. Wouldn't get that with diesel :cyclopsani:

Loco parentis liked this
By MichaelP
Has anyone’s ELT caused a crash?
If there are flaming failures like the bus explosion, there have been several instances of electric cars combusting, and then there was the 787 trouble, how can lithium batteries be used in certified aircraft?
So many other unrelated snags have lead to Airworthiness Directives for perhaps lesser reasons.
Loco parentis liked this
By PeteSpencer
[quote="Flyin'Dutch'"]Try taking your own life vest with the gas cartridge in it onto a passenger aeroplane. Same difference innit?

I once ordered a (pink with flowers) child's lifejacket (with gas cartridge) for my granddaughter from a Marine suppliers outfit in Wales:

They posted to me:

When it arrived, there was a problem with it so I phoned the company who asked me to post if back to sort it.

So I posted it off back to them:

However the Post Office intercepted it, opened it ,slapped on a label saying it was 'dangerous goods' and should be sent by licensed courier.

And posted it back to me
:lol:
By Alan64
Done this a lot with various stuff and it can require discussion
Get a copy of IATA TABLE 2.3.A off the internet, file name is "drg-62-en-2.3a.pdf"
Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers or Crew
it is a 2 page pdf and details what can go in baggage hold etc. Airline may have further opinion but it is the rule security should apply.
I would print out several copies and be prepared for a discussion as security in some parts of the world like to come up with novel rules.
Several catagories but some of the relevant words below.

100 Wh - is a big drill battery but a non rechargeable lithium thionyl chloride C cell contains about 2 gram of lithium which is what might cause your problems. up to 8 grams with permission of operator

Lithium Batteries: Portable electronic devices (PED) containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, including medical devices such as portable oxygen concentrators (POC) and consumer electronics such as cameras, mobile phones, laptops and tablets (see 2.3.5.8). For lithium metal batteries the lithium metal content must not exceed 2 g and for lithium ion batteries the Watt-hour rating must not exceed 100 Wh. Devices in checked baggage must be completely switched off and must be protected from damage. Each person is limited to a maximum of 15 PED.
*The operator may approve the carriage of more than 15 PED.
By skydriller
malcolmfrost wrote:Check the airline rules, here are BA's. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/liquids-and-restrictions
BTW around 35,000 (100k totak but 65% from vandalism or crime) cars catch fire spontaneously in the UK every year. Petrol is dangerous :D

And how many of those had the petrol spontaneously combust... me thinks the majority would have been caused by electrical issues initially which then had the plastic and other detritus catch fiire properly.. 70s movie car crashes these are not...