Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ROG
St Omer--10 minute walk to town--combine it with a visit tio the Cupola--ww2 site.
Amiens--cathedral worth a visit--lunch by the canal --make sure you don"t move your chair back too far.
Alderney--small compact island.
matthew_w100 liked this
By Peter_G
Yes, I do like Calais and always use it as a port of entry. But I wouldn't rely on the restaurant being open.

The lovely Au Vol au Vent Brasserie at Calais is open 7/7 08.00 - 018.00L
Rob P liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:Going further to the Netherlands is a good option. And is there anything in Germany?

In Germany there are about a gazillion larger and small airfields where the landing fees are small, the welcome large and the fuel expensive.

Almost invariably they have decent restaurants which are frequented by fliers and 'the general public alike'

But they are all more than 100nm from the UK's coast which was a stipulation in your OP that they could not be beyond!
By Rob P
ROG wrote:Amiens--cathedral worth a visit--lunch by the canal --make sure you don"t move your chair back too far.

Best of luck with Amiens and their FR Seulment FISO

Rob P
By matthew_w100
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:Going further to the Netherlands is a good option. And is there anything in Germany?

In Germany there are about a gazillion larger and small airfields where the landing fees are small, the welcome large and the fuel expensive.

Almost invariably they have decent restaurants which are frequented by fliers and 'the general public alike'

So they drop into the overnight category! But yes, the German border is further away than my memory had me believe.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By tnowak
Regarding Amiens and their FR Seulement FISO - land during their 2 hr lunchbreak!
Worked for us 10 years ago....

Rouen used to have a bus service into town, which is interesting. You would need to check now to ensure the bus still runs.
By Iceman
Rob P wrote:Best of luck with Amiens and their FR Seulment FISO

I remember the FR Seulement, ‘English-speaking’ FISO well. She made me work hard on the RT on the way in, and on landing, in perfect English, then said “180 backtrack, taxi to …” :D.

Mind you, that’s not the only reason that I remember Amiens :lol: :shock: !

Iceman 8)
Rob P liked this
By Ibra
tnowak wrote:Rouen used to have a bus service into town, which is interesting. You would need to check now to ensure the bus still runs.

There is a bus (number 13 :D ) between Boos Airport (LFOP or Rouen Airport) and Rouen City, the nice restaurant has sadly closed but there are few restaurants within walking distance, 20min walk you have Le Vert Bocage…

If anyone lands in Rouen on weekends, I can offer a lift :thumleft:
By tnowak
So the Le Vert Bocage is still there??

Probably 30 years ago we got stuck in Rouen for a week due to really poor vis across the channel on our way home. This was in the days before computers, easy use credit cards and getting cash out of hole in the wall machines. We stayed a few nights in the Le Vert Bocage while trying to decide what to do. We decided to leave our vintage Pipers in the large Rouen hangar and got a lift home in a Cessna 195 to Luton....
Went back a few weeks later to fly our aircraft home..
Ibra liked this
By GrahamB
TLRippon wrote:There is always Troyes, if you are looking for a nice Gothic town centre. Bus at the door of the airfield although the Taxi is about 10 euros.

When was that?

The taxi is more like €20 now (€30-ish on a Sunday) and the No. 3 bus only goes as far as the Centre Commmercial Barberey which is a 10-15 minute walk away.
By TLRippon
GrahamB wrote:
TLRippon wrote:There is always Troyes, if you are looking for a nice Gothic town centre. Bus at the door of the airfield although the Taxi is about 10 euros.

When was that?

The taxi is more like €20 now (€30-ish on a Sunday) and the No. 3 bus only goes as far as the Centre Commmercial Barberey which is a 10-15 minute walk away.

July last year
By TLRippon
GrahamB wrote:
TLRippon wrote:July last year

We were robbed!

It depends if you take the recommendation from the fireman who takes your fees or call one from the numbers in the AIP.

It's not that long a walk to where the bus stops, even with a Roller Bag it took less than 10 mins. Had to do that on the way back out.