Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matthew_w100
Where's good to go in Europe for a day-trip/lunch? So, say, 100nm from the UK coast, customs, and most importantly a walk/bus (and not the E50 taxi ride ubiquitous in France) from the airport? L2K & Ostend fit the bill, but one should go further.

And then how about for an overnighter? So 250nm from the UK coast and a walk/bus from the airport.

I know there are a bazillion recommendations in the Trip Reports but they seem to miss the "walk" requirement. And there are a bazillion of them :D; I'm looking to distil a list for European adventure newbies who aren't able to go the whole hog and tour.

Many thanks in advance!
russp liked this
By map5623
Should I mention Calais, unless it has changed the bus into the town centre turns around at the airfield. I had heard it is now free.
And there are some nice restaurants.
As it is so close to the UK you can take the time to go into the town.
Stampe, matthew_w100 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With Ostende and Le Touquet you will have more or less had it as far as 'no walk or taxi' and 100nm from the UK coast.

Most airfields are, of course, by the very nature of their function, outside of conurbations and therefore more difficult to get to by walking or a (short) taxi ride.

Texel and Ameland in the NL are interesting and the islands small enough to explore by foot or local public transport.
matthew_w100 liked this
By Rob L
matthew_w100 wrote:Where's good to go in Europe for a day-trip/lunch?

I wouldn't bother for a day trip. Going for a week makes more sense.

Day trips invite staying in the UK (saves customs etc.)
By Rob P
map5623 wrote:Should I mention Calais,

No need to take the bus in Calais. The airfield restaurant 'Vol Au Vent' is a good standard, whilst the fifteen minute walk into Marck brings you to an excellent brasserie (weekdays only)

Rob P
matthew_w100 liked this
By TLRippon
There are precious few places fitting your specification outside of LeTouquet and Ostend. You are either going to have to jump in a taxi or land somewhere else first for customs.
I’d struggle to think of many places in the uk where you can land and walk into town or even take a bus as few airfields have a bus running by their isolated location.
By Rob L
xtophe wrote:Of course the UK is in Europe. We only left the EU.

So plenty of destination possible and no custom needed.

Good luck with that.
By Rob P
TLRippon wrote:
I’d struggle to think of many places in the uk where you can land and walk into town or even take a bus as few airfields have a bus running by their isolated location.

I can help you out with Peterborough Conington where a decent pub / restaurant is just a few minutes walk from the airfield.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TLRippon wrote:I’d struggle to think of many places in the uk where you can land and walk into town or even take a bus as few airfields have a bus running by their isolated location.

OK I'll bite:

Rougham Airfield Bury St Edmunds has the Ravenwood Hall Hotel 8 minutes walk away (via A14 underpass) .

Excellent Lunches dinners and plenty of rooms for overnight stay:

Been eating out there occasionally for last 35 years: never had a bad meal.

http://ravenwoodhall.co.uk/ (deals via trivago,booking.com.)

Go for a few days and take in the splendour of the Mediaeval Grid town of Bury St Edmunds. :wink:
Flyin'Dutch', terryws liked this