Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Worth noting that every aircraft has an angle of attack indicator.

It’s called stick (or control wheel) position.

Learn where the point is that it stalls in a normal clean, power off stall. Note the position of the stick (or control wheel).

That’s your AoA indicator. Maybe not as graduated as @PaulSS ‘s but it works.
G-BLEW, Nick liked this
By Nick
Also think about the all up weight of the aircraft at the time of your approach to land. A very light pilot, low fuel, no baggage, no passenger? You can afford to reduce the 1.3 figure a little. If you are landing into a short strip, I would say you probably need to, if you don't want to float forever, that is!

Nick
PaulSS, StratoTramp liked this
By Longfinal
I can’t really see the instrument properly in the video but, given you are constantly nudging the stick to the left on final, it would imply you are slightly out of balance. With lower power settings, your aircraft will yaw right so a bit more left rudder needed. The key to a good landing is a good, stable approach.

As others have said though, it wasn’t that bad! Congratulations on completing the nav.
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
On looking at the footage I was describing it wrong. I will post a picture. Shows how fallible memory is. It was deffo annoying me at the time in the plane but

It was just a single cloud in-between me and the field. At the time I didn't want to go under as too low. I didn't want to go up as Id loose site of field.

There was a lower layer and a higher layer.

But both of the above are stupid logic looking back. It wouldn't have been an issue. And it wasn't an issue as I got closer :roll: :lol:

@Nick

Yep, CT2K is very light 1UP even with fat me in it.

I am working on the proper video to share on my channel which includes the Carp fenland landings. At the time in the plane I state think I was too fast.

Have 3 cameras with 3 hours each of footage to condense into about 12-15 mins. The intended audience is really to get people involved in flying. If I put time codes in you lot can skip to the bad bits!
Last edited by StratoTramp on Mon May 23, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard liked this
By Nick
@StratoTramp when flying an aircraft new to you a good tip is to take it to a safe height, cloudbase permitting, say 3000ft, slow it down to the approach speed and just take it very gently to the stall. Do this several times both with and without flaps deployed. Feel it, listen to it and get that air speed, sound and stick position firmly in your mind. You will then know just how much extra to allow for safety. Feel and sound are very useful senses to use.

Hth Nick.
Charliesixtysix, T6Harvard, AndyR and 3 others liked this
By StratoTramp
Thanks, This would have helped. I think I was flying it "normally", normal being 2up and not accounting or considering the lower weight at all at least when it came to the landings.

Will incorporate that into a flight soon. Do need to revisit stalls in general. :thumleft:
AndyR wrote:Worth noting that every aircraft has an angle of attack indicator.

It’s called stick (or control wheel) position.

Learn where the point is that it stalls in a normal clean, power off stall. Note the position of the stick (or control wheel).

That’s your AoA indicator..

Yes, but 'control column' purlease :P
kanga, AndyR liked this