Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By blackjack_201
Anyone been to Swansea recently? Would you recommend it or are there any other locations close by more worth it? Thank you!
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Swansea. I spent a week there one day.

Airfield is OK though.
Danny liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There's no cafe and not much around so there's not much to see or do if you don't know anyone there.

If you're going off-site, that's another matter, there's some lovely places around the Gower!
By eltonioni
Had a really interesting project in Swansea back in the 90's. Got away with two trips there and worked quite hard to make sure that a third wasn't needed.
By mick w
Worked down the Mumbles a few decades ago , we used to use an excellent Seafood Restaurant along the Seafront , the freshly caught Seabass was amazing :thumleft:
By PeteSpencer
I flew to Swansea once for a Flyer List (remember that?) fly in but was so delayed because the hangar door derailed and it took forever to re rail it and get aeroplane out.

So long in fact that the last fly in aeroplane was just leaving as I arrived.

So I flew home. :roll:
By eltonioni
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Back in the '90s (or at least the '80s) they hadn't started re-developing the WWII bomb sites yet...

That sounds about right, I was busy redevleoping the WW1 cinema into a Waterstones. Never did understand why Swansea needed such a big bookshop :lol:
By Spooky
blackjack_201 wrote:@Spooky I meant the airfield :) this will be a 1hr stop at most just to stretch legs

In the same sort of area you have Haverfordwest which is very nice and has a good café. Also Pembrey, however I’ve not visited there yet.
By TopCat
kanga wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:I flew to Swansea once for a Flyer List (remember that?) fly in ..

I was at a List fly-in there in October 2000

I reckon I was at that one. Showery conditions IIRC. I was quite high up crossing the estuary, there was snow up there.

I also walked into a door at the cafe on that visit, and cut my arm on the catch. I still have the scar!
By PeteSpencer
kanga wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:I flew to Swansea once for a Flyer List (remember that?) fly in ..

I was at a List fly-in there in October 2000

That's the one :8th October to be precise.

No-one left from fly-in , just refuelled and flew home again

My logbook records that the Wx was cr ap and I had to deviate via Glos overhead to avoid 'stuff' on the way home.
By 2Donkeys
I remember that fly-in. I took my Baron G-BMLM. My recollection is that the excuse for the fly-in was the latest re-opening of the airport by a rather keen young lady and the commencing of a commercial air route or two by a company long since forgotten (Red Dragon?)

I don't think that incarnation lasted long.

These days, it is difficult to see why you wouldn't simply opt to go to Cardiff for a short technical stop. The facilities are great, the people friendly, and the prices are very low for a 'big' airport.