Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
A le Ron wrote:My favourites: [b]Corsica[/b] and Elba

Visted Figari (in the south) on an IT in 2011. Thomson ran a half empty 737; the airfield was notified as 'daylight hours only' due to a large rock on final.
The 'friction' between the Corsicans and the French was all too obvious.
Last edited by chevvron on Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Kemble Pitts
welkyboy wrote:
Kemble Pitts wrote:Many years ago I went to a small fly in on Horsey Island, Essex. For the life of me I can't remember how I heard about, but its a very tranquil place (apart from the visiting aeroplane noise).

Don't forget there are lots of inland or coastal-edge islands too, although less obvious.

Probably not Horsey Island but Osea Island which is next door with a strip.

You must have a very fast aeroplane to think 23 miles is next door! Would've taken me ages in my old Jodel D11.

My landing was on Horsey, there's a 500m strip on the western tip. Something is telling me the place is/was owned by Tony Haig-Thomas.

Osea looks really interesting, but, from Googlearth, it looks like the strip has gone.
By welkyboy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Kemble Pitts wrote:
welkyboy wrote:
Kemble Pitts wrote:Many years ago I went to a small fly in on Horsey Island, Essex. For the life of me I can't remember how I heard about, but its a very tranquil place (apart from the visiting aeroplane noise).

Don't forget there are lots of inland or coastal-edge islands too, although less obvious.

Probably not Horsey Island but Osea Island which is next door with a strip.

You must have a very fast aeroplane to think 23 miles is next door! Would've taken me ages in my old Jodel D11.

My landing was on Horsey, there's a 500m strip on the western tip. Something is telling me the place is/was owned by Tony Haig-Thomas.

Osea looks really interesting, but, from Googlearth, it looks like the strip has gone.

Sorry I was mixing up Northey Island with Horsey
:oops:
By Rob L
There are some lovely islands in the USA upon which I have landed: Examples

Tangier Island in Chesapeake Bay

and Put-in-Bay in Lake Eire

Story of the above two Here but there are many other islands around the world for simple VFR flying.

Most island residents, be they here in the UK or elsewhere, welcome aircraft as a means of revenue for the local economy. A few GA flying trips to the the Scillies and later to Orkneys & Shetlands just showed me how they rely upon aviation to deliver the daily milk and the children to school. Same in other remote areas like Alaska.
By Dodo
OP here. I've been away for a couple of days and unable to post.

I omitted Texel (where I have flown into as a passenger and departed as P1 ) from the original list as I hadn't noticed it was an island.

It might make up for thinking Campbeltown was on an island when it isn't.

I've also flown to Fair Isle but as a passenger in the back seat of a PA28. I don't think I'd do it again.
holmesie liked this
By kanga
Rob L wrote:There are some lovely islands in the USA upon which I have landed: Examples

Tangier Island in Chesapeake Bay

Indeed. Flew there from mainland Md once, in '80s, flying down the Chesapeake Bay. This involved crossing the Patuxent River NAS (USN's 'Boscombe Down') Restricted area, from whom there was no response on the radio that weekend; so we just carried on through.

<linguistic drift :oops: >

Tangier Island is in Virginia. Its airstrip meant that it was already quite popular with 2nd home owners from the DC or Baltimore areas, and the established local fishing families were complaining even then that they were being priced out of the local real-estate market; while ethnological linguist researchers were noting that the local dialect, almost 'Shakespearean' 16-17th century English, was being eroded.

By contrast, nearby Smith Island (in Maryland), has no airstrip, was then still largely a fishing community, and the dialect was still well-preserved

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Island,_Maryland

"Smith Island is inhabited by one of the region's oldest English-speaking communities, which is known for its relic accent, preserving speech patterns from the original English colonial settlers. The local dialect is like the dialects of the West Country of England, including Cornwall. The dialect contains some relict features indicative of its origins. The dialect is like the Ocracoke Brogue, sometimes referred to as the Outer Banks Brogue."

</>
Rob L, Paul_Sengupta liked this
By RisePilot
Kemble Pitts wrote:Osea looks really interesting, but, from Googlearth, it looks like the strip has gone.

Osea Island is a private island and you must be renting one of the houses/cottages to visit. All have a two-night minimum stay. It's really a helicopter location; I've never seen or heard of fixed wing landings there.

http://www.oseaisland.co.uk
By Jodelman
JonBoy wrote:How about Isle of Sheppey…? Don’t know why but nobody’s mentioned that yet…? :D

Kent's paradise Island!
By PeteSpencer
How about a nice weekend away to Quiberon in Britanny which is a presqu-ile in its own right and certainly feels like an island when approaching over the bay and combining it with a hop over to Belle-Isle (LFEA) which is an island: 600+m of tarmac.

Ibis is walkable just up the road from airfield (In fact the whole of Quiberon is walkable) and prob heaving with AirBnBs now.

Bikes for hire etc..... :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat May 21, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick w liked this
By chevvron
JonBoy wrote:How about Isle of Sheppey…? Don’t know why but nobody’s mentioned that yet…? :D

You mentioned it but I don't think anyone noticed so you got away with it. :twisted:
Last edited by chevvron on Sun May 22, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
Not done many islands butBornholm in the Baltic stands out as a great place to visit
By letpmar
Texel has been mentioned already, if you follow the coast going East there is nothing but Islands and a lot of them have airfields. I did Juist EDWJ last year and it was great. I am thinking of doing something similar again this year perhaps as far as Gdansk and bagging a few more of the Islands.
Send me a PM if anyone fancy’s coming along in there own aircraft. It’s always nice to have a bit of company in the evening.

Pete
By StratoTramp
Iceman wrote:
gasman wrote:I landed at Welshpool when the runway was like an aircraft carrier in a sea of floodwater - does that count?
:lol:

You didn’t have a floatplane then :lol: ?

Iceman 8)

Whole new meaning to the term aquaplane.
Iceman, Bill McCarthy liked this