Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I like flying to islands in light aircraft.

Flying to Islands is one of the few opportunities to actually disprove the adage "Time to spare, go by air."

Today I went to the Isle of Wight.

Last week I went to Alderney.

Looking in my logbook I have flown to

Unst
Sumburgh
Kirkwall
Stornoway
Benbecula
Broadford
Tiree
Mull
Islay
Campbeltown
Gigha (that was scary, it was meant to be grass but was 800 m of bog, and I thought I'd never get off the ground)
Ronaldsway
Inishmore
Inishman
Inisheer
Isle of Wight
Jersey
Guernsey
Alderney
St Marys
& Oessant

I think I would not have visited many of those places without a pilot's licence.

I suspect I am approaching the end of my private flying career, but another few years, and another few islands, would be nice.
Nick, Ibra, FrankS and 3 others liked this
By DavidC
That’s an impressive list! You did well to reach the Aran islands which are fairly inaccessible but quite beautiful on a sunny day.

Perhaps worth a trip both to add a few more Orkney Islands that could be added plus Coll en-route?

Not sure that Campbeltown would qualify - the Mull of Kintyre was still part of the mainland last time I looked.
By Rob L
I agree with David C: that's very impressive. In UK and near-Europe airspace you've done most.

May I suggest Sweden & Denmark? There are some lovely islands there, some (too few) of which I have flown.
But if you go that far, fly Norway too, islands or not.
By Forfoxake
Dodo wrote:I like flying to islands in light aircraft.

Flying to Islands is one of the few opportunities to actually disprove the adage "Time to spare, go by air."

Today I went to the Isle of Wight.

Last week I went to Alderney.

Looking in my logbook I have flown to

Unst
Sumburgh
Kirkwall
Stornoway
Benbecula
Broadford
Tiree
Mull
Islay
Campbeltown
Gigha (that was scary, it was meant to be grass but was 800 m of bog, and I thought I'd never get off the ground)
Ronaldsway
Inishmore
Inishman
Inisheer
Isle of Wight
Jersey
Guernsey
Alderney
St Marys
& Oessant

I think I would not have visited many of those places without a pilot's licence.

I suspect I am approaching the end of my private flying career, but another few years, and another few islands, would be nice.

Great idea! Here is my list:
Westray
Papa Westray
Stronsay
Sanday
North Ronaldsay
Eday
Lamb Holm
Kirkwall
Stornoway
Sollas
Benbecula
Barra
Broadford
Tiree
Mull
Islay
Jura
Coll
Colonsay
Gigha
Bute (two sites
Arran (four sites)
Ronaldsway
Jurby
Isle of Wight
By Miscellaneous
Dodo wrote:I suspect I am approaching the end of my private flying career, but another few years, and another few islands, would be nice.

Here's a couple of island fly-in dates for you.

Lamb Holm, Orkney 9th -10th July.

Sollas, North Uist 23rd -24th July (beach landing).

I recommend both as well worthwhile, more so if you actively enjoy island flying. :thumright:
Dave W liked this
By gasman
I landed at Welshpool when the runway was like an aircraft carrier in a sea of floodwater - does that count?
:lol:
By Iceman
Or the Isles of Scilly, including Tresco.
Or Anglesey.

Iceman 8)
By SteakAndAle
As a big fan of the Hebrides on foot & bicycle, daydreaming about flying around them is about 50% of the reason I pulled the trigger on getting my PPL! Now the limiting factor is just time off work to do a big trip.

I have looked at Gigha & Lundy before on Skydemon thinking "cor, those would be some unique ones to get in the logbook" - but sounds like they require something microlight-y with chunkier gear..?
By Iceman
gasman wrote:I landed at Welshpool when the runway was like an aircraft carrier in a sea of floodwater - does that count?
:lol:

You didn’t have a floatplane then :lol: ?

Iceman 8)
gasman liked this
By NorthSouth
SteakAndAle wrote:As a big fan of the Hebrides on foot & bicycle, daydreaming about flying around them is about 50% of the reason I pulled the trigger on getting my PPL! Now the limiting factor is just time off work to do a big trip.

I have looked at Gigha & Lundy before on Skydemon thinking "cor, those would be some unique ones to get in the logbook" - but sounds like they require something microlight-y with chunkier gear..?
Gigha has been closed for a while due to lack of funds to deal with the drainage problems. There is now a plan to bring it back into service but sadly it will only be 400m so yes, essentially microlights only