Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@NorthSouth, that’s great news. Tailwheels such as the Maule and Cub love those sort of places.

SteakAndAle wrote:I have looked at Gigha & Lundy before on Skydemon thinking "cor, those would be some unique ones to get in the logbook" - but sounds like they require something microlight-y with chunkier gear..?

At the Lundy fly-ins, the majority of participants are in tail wheel aircraft.

Iceman 8)
By mpk
I think I read the Gigha airfield was left to grow over and is no longer in use.
By Iceman
@mpk, according to @NorthSouth above, there is an intention to reinstate the Gigha airstrip, but with a useable length of just 400 metres.

Iceman 8)
mpk liked this
By Smaragd
Don't forget Belle-Ile - and but for 60m width of dry land Quiberon would be an island!
By SteakAndAle
Iceman wrote:@mpk, according to @NorthSouth above, there is an intention to reinstate the Gigha airstrip, but with a useable length of just 400 metres.

Iceman 8)

There is a note on SD from March from the Trust saying that it's "only available to microlights. No twin engined aircraft or aircraft > 600kgs"

I need to make friends with someone with a tailwheel :wink:
By Big Dex
I took my Europa (trigear) into Gigha a few years back; the unexpected rate of deceleration on landing was concerning. The following morning I was delighted to have 20kts of wind down the strip, or getting out would've been challenging, as it took over 50% power just to taxi.
By Kemble Pitts
Many years ago I went to a small fly in on Horsey Island, Essex. For the life of me I can't remember how I heard about, but its a very tranquil place (apart from the visiting aeroplane noise).

Don't forget there are lots of inland or coastal-edge islands too, although less obvious.
By akg1486
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Bornholm
Odense
Helgoland

End of this month

While Fyn (where Odense is) is technically an island, you can do better in the area. I'd suggest Endelave, Samsoe or Aeroe that are all close.
By Flyin'Dutch'
akg1486 wrote:While Fyn (where Odense is) is technically an island, you can do better in the area. I'd suggest Endelave, Samsoe or Aeroe that are all close.

Odense is include so one in our midst can be reacquainted with old friends.

Only having been to Scandinavia once before, some years ago, I am now in the position that I am currently visiting the area by boat, only to come back within a week by aeroplane.

Sadly not to Sweden, when that happens I'll let you know!
By welkyboy
Kemble Pitts wrote:Many years ago I went to a small fly in on Horsey Island, Essex. For the life of me I can't remember how I heard about, but its a very tranquil place (apart from the visiting aeroplane noise).

Don't forget there are lots of inland or coastal-edge islands too, although less obvious.

Probably not Horsey Island but Osea Island which is next door with a strip.