Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
NorthSouth wrote:
SteakAndAle wrote:There is now a plan to bring it back into service but sadly it will only be 400m so yes, essentially microlights only

Loads of non microlights that will be fine with 400m - Flying from Barton the short runway is under 400m and we operate Pa28 and Cessna from it!
By Iceman
I’d definitely like to fly in to Thorney Island. I have a flying friend who lived part of her childhood there when it was an operational base.

Iceman 8)
By ChampChump
It has the dubious privilege of being the only airfield in the UK where I've been stuck overnight. :D
By Paul_Sengupta
I think Thorney Island is currently NOTAM'd as closed due to work in progress. I've been in a few times, the north south runway is in good condition, the east west is a bit gravelly. They used to have a fly-in there, and I've taken a few of the soldiers based there flying as well.

Q)EGTT/QXXXX/IV/NBO/AE/000/020/5049N00056W002
B)2204291045 C)2205311200 EST
E)THORNEY ISLAND BAKER BARRACKS NORTH, HLS PSN 504908N 0005531W
(THORNEY ISLAND, WEST SUSSEX). DUE TO CONSTRUCTION WORK SITE IS
TEMPO CLOSED. FOR INFO CTC 01491 837766 EXTENSION 7424.
2021-08-0227/AS1
By chevvron
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I think Thorney Island is currently NOTAM'd as closed due to work in progress.
E)THORNEY ISLAND BAKER BARRACKS NORTH, HLS PSN 504908N 0005531W
(THORNEY ISLAND, WEST SUSSEX). DUE TO CONSTRUCTION WORK SITE IS
TEMPO CLOSED. FOR INFO CTC 01491 837766 EXTENSION 7424.
2021-08-0227/AS1

Wouldn't have thought wip on an HLS would bother anyone. In any case it's only the HLS which is closed not the rest of the airfield.
By LysanderV8
I think the last fly in to Thorney Island was 21 September 2013. I’m not aware of anything since. I fly past very regularly and the runways always seem to have equipment of some sort on them. I thought flying had ceased permanently there.
By Dodo
I've just been reminded that I also went to a fly in on Thorney Island in 2009.
I missed that off the original list.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Iceman
Do I get the prize for having landed on the smallest island ? Walker’s Cay in the Bahamas in February 1998. As can be seen from the more recent picture below, it was abandoned after a hurricane but there are plans afoot to rejuvenate the place. This was an official customs entry point into the Bahamas, and on my arrival, three customs guys were sat in deck chairs waiting for me. My sort of job :lol: ! The marina was full and amphibians were arriving up the ramp. A very pleasant lunch was had in the single hotel.

Iceman 8)
Dave W liked this
By SteakAndAle
Forfoxake wrote:Bute (two sites
Arran (four sites)

Would be interested to know more about the 2nd site in Bute..? I have a friend on the mainland nearby (Tighnabruaich), have been meaning to visit via the strip on the S of the island but curious if there's another option in the area.
By kanga
Iceman wrote:@mpk, according to @NorthSouth above, there is an intention to reinstate the Gigha airstrip, but with a useable length of just 400 metres.

Iceman 8)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz9e9k09qqdo

"Lifesaving helipad to be built on Isle of Gigha"

I don't whether this would reduce the incentive for the Trust to maintain the grass airstrip :?
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
I'm hoping that, as the Gigha strip is not currently seen as a viable evacuation strip, that any incentive that is there at the moment to maintain the strip will not diminish. The nearby Glenforsa strip on the Isle of Mull was created by the Royal Engineers in the 60s as a medivac strip for when the island ferries stop operating at night. Islanders were used back then, but helicopters have now been used for years, a small, lit helicopter landing area in front of the hotel being used on a regular basis.

Iceman 8)
By Miscellaneous
The Gigha strip is notified closed until April for the construction of the helipad. Providing there are no delays it should be open again in April. BBC seem to be announcing history rather than news. :D
Iceman, Nick liked this
By PeteSpencer
Our dear departed economic write off (to us paupers) of an arrer has gone to live permanently on an Island ( North Island N Z) where a rich sugar-daddy with bottomless pockets is restoring it to pristine condition, while we can only metaphorically lick the window of his workshop from afar. :(