Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Planning a trip for Waltham to Catania - to arrive Catania 22 June.

Looking for suggestions on routes and places to refuel and overnight (especially Italy).

Currently thinking of Waltham - Avignon - Genoa - Salerno. Any advice on landing and AVGAS prices at places in Italy.

I usually go Lyon - Cannes - Calvi - Salerno, but my co-traveller doesn’t like long over water legs so looking to route overland or close to coast.
Ta
By Iceman
WW to Avignon.
Avignon to Latina (LIRL), following the coast via Cannes and Genoa.
Latina to Catania following the coast.

Contact @AfricanEagle of this parish for details on Latina, although on June 22nd, he’ll be in San Marino with the rest of us for this year’s Raduno :cheers: :thumright:.

AVGAS prices in Italy generally expensive.

Iceman 8)
By skydriller
I visited Avignon and Genova in 2018 on the way to/from the last Raduno. I posted about both in the ATIS section - both enjoyable destinations and friendly airports. I believe that Genova & Salerno have now gone the "expensive handling charges for anything we can think of" route in the last couple of years, though used to be reasonable.

You cant beat the view flying around the cote d'azure and north italy coast at low level - even if off of the coast - Im sure your friend would enjoy it.

Regards, SD..
By 2Donkeys
Others have pretty much covered the route. On the assumption that your destination is to be LICC (Fontanarossa), there is no AVGAS available there - like a lot of major Italian airports. Other options in the immediate area are very limited.
By Iceman
AfricanEagles’s home base of Sabaudia (LISB) has fuel if you can do 600m of grass. Price is 2.5 to 2.6 Euros. Latina that I mentioned above is in fact military and not easy to access. AfricanEagle also recommends LIAA. He also said that the flying clubs associated with Catania and Salerno should have fuel, no problem. If you have any problems, give him a PM.

Iceman 8)
By Lefty
Iceman wrote:AfricanEagles’s home base of Sabaudia (LISB) has fuel if you can do 600m of grass. Price is 2.5 to 2.6 Euros. Latina that I mentioned above is in fact military and not easy to access. AfricanEagle also recommends LIAA. He also said that the flying clubs associated with Catania and Salerno should have fuel, no problem. If you have any problems, give him a PM.

Iceman 8)

Thanks, I’ve pm’d and emailed Ricardo.

I already had Salerno as I refuelled and stayed over there both ways to Paphos and back.

It’s just good planning to know where all of your potent fuel stops are.
Thanks