Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’s just a big C152 really. If Frank Spencer can do it, … :lol: !

It takes a cool, level head to put it down in one piece on a runway with 0 experience ! There are ‘qualified’ pilots out there who have done far worse !

Iceman 8)
By Trent772
He lands, gets met by the authorities, but afterwards - no one knew his name.

This seems rather suspicious to me :roll:
By chevvron
Trent772 wrote:
> He lands, gets met by the authorities, but afterwards - no one knew his
> name.
>
> This seems rather suspicious to me :roll:
Been done many times before; there was one like it at Cardiff about late '80s or early '90s.
Funny he knew where the microphone was so he could transmit; now how many inexperienced people would know that.
flybymike liked this
By Iceman
Good job that they had an ATC guy with instructional experience to hand. I hope that the passenger now gets his licence and the pilot recovers.

Iceman 8)
Dave W liked this
By riverrock
Another copy of the recording:

Kudos to the ATC professionals!
I especially liked how the approach controller was able to transmit on the tower frequency of a different airport so the "pilot" didn't have to change frequency. Presumably also transmitting from the local location rather than the original (which is why it isn't on recordings). Could that be done in the UK?
They also had an approach controller who was also a flight instructor - we don't have many of those here!
By AlanM
“My pilot is incoherent!”

(Heard daily round this way!!)

Quite the incident though. All’s well that ends well - with a good all round effort.
By Talkdownman
riverrock wrote:
>an approach controller who was also a flight instructor - we don't have many of those here!

Er...don't you believe it... Heathrow Approach and Thames Radar have had multiple flight instructors on the staff in the past. And CPL/ATPLs. Probably still do...

Also I wouldn't mind betting that there are FIs in ATC where the facility is actually located at the aerodrome (unlike the above) where they can slip out and do the odd bit of instructing on the other end of the mic. I bet matspart3 had FIs at Gloucester ATC.
By chevvron
Talkdownman wrote:
> riverrock wrote:
> >an approach controller who was also a flight instructor - we don't have many of
> those here!
>
> Er...don't you believe it... Heathrow Approach and Thames Radar have had multiple
> flight instructors on the staff in the past. And CPL/ATPLs. Probably still do...
>
> Also I wouldn't mind betting that there are FIs in ATC where the facility is actually
> located at the aerodrome (unlike the above) where they can slip out and do the odd
> bit of instructing on the other end of the mic. I bet matspart3 had FIs at Gloucester
> ATC.
In fact as TDM knows NATS (or rather NATCS) trained ATCO Cadets were trained to PPL standard at one time and encouraged to maintain competency.
Last edited by chevvron on Thu May 12, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.