Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just picked up a Facebook post:

"After much thought and deliberation, unfortunately we will be returning to a 5 day a week operation.
As from Sunday 15th May we will again be closing to the general public on SUNDAYS and MONDAYS until further notice.
Our on-site restaurant, AV8 will be doing the same days as us, closed Sundays and Mondays."
:(
By SpeedBrake
G-JWTP wrote:
> Not if you have to pay people double time.
>
> G-JWTP

Paying people double time on Sunday's is really ridiculous in today's world. When will we get rid of all this Sunday trading rules nonsense and allow me to wonder around Tesco in my dressing gown and slippers at 23:00 on a Sunday night?
By GAFlyer4Fun
Closing Sunday and Monday is summat the barbers/hairdressers usually do. :wink:

Given GA is not the cheapest of hobbies (particularly for the spamcan drivers :wink: ), many years ago I used to think that weekends would be the busiest days on the assumption that non-commercial pilots are mostly working Monday to Friday to earn flying tokens amongst other things.
As the average age of GA pilots appears to be increasing, it is likely a larger proportion are actually retired and could fly any day of the week and so to them it does not matter which 2 days of the week Kemble closed to the public. The semi-retired also have more flexibility in choice of flying days than the full time Monday to Friday workers.

During the pandemic I thought the Kemble 5 day thing was partly to allow based GA to fly without risk of cross contamination with visiting GA.... or to tactically manage staff shortages.

Presumably the GA activity at Kemble is weather dependent, so how about choosing the 5 days based on local weather forecasts so they dont lose trade when it is CAVOK on a Sunday and Monday. They can notam their availability.
By Duo802
Although home based aircraft like ours can operate on indemnity on Sunday and Monday, there is no fuel available, even from the self service pump. Can be a pain in the a**e having to refuel somewhere else.
By Peter Gristwood
Such a shame. Last year was a tricky one trying to find suitable destinations with a number shutting on Sundays and Mondays and others requiring PPR so they didn't trigger movement limits. I'd hate to think we're going back there in 2022.
By Bathman
", there is no fuel available, even from the self service pump."

How anearth can there be no self sevice pump?

So are saying that they actually go out of their way to turn the thing off?
By JodelDavo
I suspect that renting out your airfield space and buildings to ‘other’ businesses pays far more than GA activity.. Money talks :thumleft:
By Duo802
Bathman wrote:
> ", there is no fuel available, even from the self service pump."
>
> How anearth can there be no self sevice pump?
>
> So are saying that they actually go out of their way to turn the thing off?

I suspect it's because they need to have fire cover on site when dispensing fuel. I can't think of any other reason.
By AndyR
G-JWTP wrote:
> Not if you have to pay people double time.
>
> G-JWTP

Seriously?

Does anyone get paid extra for working on a Sunday, or even a Bank Holiday any longer? Particularly in aviation!
By skydriller
Duo802 wrote:
> I suspect it's because they need to have fire cover on site when dispensing fuel.

:shock: Im such an HSE risk filling up at all those French Total Automates on deserted airfields.... And lord only knows how Ive survived filling my car at petrol stations all these years without the fire brigade/Pompiers being in close attendance....
:roll:
patowalker, johnm, Rob P and 2 others liked this