Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
> mpk wrote:
> > So not hugely more expensive (the £106 quote).
>
> My current annual policy without flying is £37.75 from Coverwise.
>
> https://www.coverwise.co.uk/
>
> marioair wrote:
> > For the UK use cases I was thinking more of the critical injury cover, for
> myself and
> > passengers etc. As health or sports insurance doesnt cover it either.
>
> Surely that's a different type of insurance, that's life/critical injury cover
> insurance. Travel insurance is for travel, usually outside the country. If critical
> injury cover is included, the amounts are quite small IIRC.

yes, but as I said, was trying to cover the various types of risk .
If you fly abroad then i think you're covered with for example Traffords for both medical and critical illness.
however if you're in the UK, unless you have 2 days hotel booked then you get nothing.A&E is obviouisly covered by NHS but other medical and critical illness would not be

I couldnt find a product that really worked/was worth it
mpk wrote:
> I've never bothered and carried the risk for the sake of 3 or 4 flights in USA over a 2 week
holiday

I don't share your sense of risk or nor your grasp mathematics. So you'd be flying in an unfamiliar aircraft and in an unfamiliar country/airspace with the world's highest medical costs and you're more worried about accident costs here in UK & Europe?

Google "cost of broken leg in America" and check out some real world examples. You can be out up to $80k - $100k in some instances for a just a fractured tibia/fibula. This forum will "pinch a penny till it shines".
kanga liked this
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yep that's my risk! Over insuring to death is a classic British thing, worrying about every scenario possible eg adding baggage to travel insurance for £x when the contents of a suitcase are worth only slightly more, then realising there is a £200 deductible anyway. Don't get me wrong, your figures below are probably correct and scary. However for the sake of a handful of flights every couple of years I'm content I won't crash and burn.

Been flying in USA for last 20 years most years and nothing is unfamiliar to me.

As for critical illness/income benefit I do have a policy for that if unable to work which includes flying GA.
By TomWW
marioair wrote:
> So back to the original point:
>
> Is there any product that provides insurance for flying, in the UK

What cover are you after? My traffords policy covers me for UK trips with pre booked accommodation. For travel insurance type events.
By johnm
My NFU household policy provides global travel insurance and includes flying as a pilot in light aircraft. I simply had to ask them to add an endorsement.
I've recently accepted an annual travel Policy from Traffords that includes flying as PIC. Just over £148.

They say that an insurer (or Broker) is only as good as the way a claim is dealt with: A few years ago I claimed on a ground aviation incident (again, Traffords) to the tune of many thousands of pounds and it was dealt with swiftly & efficiently, also with no increase in the following year's premium.
Hope that helps,

Rob L
Flyingfemme liked this
Rob L wrote:I've recently accepted an annual travel Policy from Traffords that includes flying as PIC. Just over £148.

They say that an insurer (or Broker) is only as good as the way a claim is dealt with: A few years ago I claimed on a ground aviation incident (again, Traffords) to the tune of many thousands of pounds and it was dealt with swiftly & efficiently, also with no increase in the following year's premium.
Hope that helps,

Rob L

Thanks. That's useful to know
By TomWW
marioair wrote:I seem to remember that Trafford only insured losses for GA flight in their policy if you had booked accommodation for 2 days as part of the trip. Ie you couldn’t claim it for local or day trips etc.

I'm not sure if you meant this to cover outside the Uk or not. But the cover outside the UK and inside are the same, with the proviso about 2 nights pre booked. That cover is quite competitive with other policies, for us at least.
I would guess that most UK GA trips across the channel are day trips - It is much easier to plan and achieve a VFR trip for one day than for a VFR trip with 2 nights away due to weather.

What about between NI and Eire - that is between UK and Eire/EU and could be a much shorter distance than a Southern England cross Channel trip to L2K.

We routinely drive around the home nations England/Wales/Scotland without travel insurance, so probably dont even think about travel insurance for doing the same trips by GA.

So why doesnt travel insurance cover flying day trips to another country? Was there a historic bad year where there were a massive number of claims? (The numbers must be tiny compared with the number of motor insurance industry claims).
Does it make a difference if it is a land border? (The costs go up a lot for a SAR helicopter searching the sea).
marioair liked this
Not sure your comparison make sense. I’m pretty sure Trafford’s wanted 2d stay if U.K. but didn’t stipulate any hotel booking for outside of U.K. has that changed?

I still ended up not getting the policy as 90% of my flights are U.K. so was no use to me
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:<snip> So why doesnt travel insurance cover flying day trips to another country? </snip>

I can't answer that, because I don't have sight of your policy. But my policy does.

As an aside, I fly recreationally in the USA so I need travel insurance that covers that activity, with its associated potential bills, which I have experienced in the past (Insurance saved me circa £55,000 about five years ago).
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Yes it is the medical bills and medevac repatriation flight that wont be cheap even from Europe.

And unbelievably expensive from the USA.
A previously fit 55yr friend developed sepsis due to acute leukaemia whilst in Florida.
The bill for ICU care and a repatriation flight back to UK was £1.5m