Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hi,

I have 13 months left on current and first LAPL medical

I have been asked to take regular BP checks and mornings it's often at 140/90. Afternoons is better

I think my GP will prescribe meds for this and a good thing too (all good on the potential diabets front thank G.)

Looking at the CAA / Cellma I can self-dec with any condition which wouldn't bar me from a driving licence ergo can self-dec no worries and not lose flying time

But...as I have a current LAPL medical do I need to contact my AME? I think if I do them worst case Ontario I get grounded for a few weeks and I'm planning a marriage in a hurry* so that's not an issue but it would be good to know what others think esp re possibly shifting from LAPL to self-dec now and avoiding the admin? Is that even possible? The website certainly allows it but I didn't click right through.

(*no. Not that. Definitely not that. One is not a BA Capt with a hostie habit)
[I am not an AME] however BP medication is normally fine once you have proven stability on whatever meds you take. I would strongly advise you engage your AME in the discussion so your GP can prescribe in accordance with aviation protocols - [I am not a GP] however It seems from what I have seen that some GPs can be a bit old school in BP prescribing and some of the aviation advice on modern medicine choices and combinations is good stuff anyway..
By Micromouse
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You need to talk to your AME. Failure to do so could potentially invalidate any medical you have and I also any insurance you may have. I've been on medication for high blood pressure for several years and had no issues with passing a class 2. However it will take time for your medication to stabilise your blood pressure and this may mean your AME might pull your medical on a temporary basis. Strangely enough my morning readings are generally lower than my evening readings. And when I have my BP checked at my AME they are considerably higher - I suffer from white coat syndrome.
mpk wrote:
> Hi Tricky, who told you 140/90 is high? And are you measuring before the
> first coffee of the day?

That was my reaction too. I am not qualified in any way to comment except as a patient (and its the Flyer Forum).
But 140/90 is high-ish, not high. Your GP is much more likely to give you a good talking to about lifestyle factors and ask to see you again in a few months. The trouble with meds is they usually are for life.
Incidentally I didn't think beta blockers are for blood pressure?
Your health comes first. But tell your AME. Pretty much all modern blood pressure medications are ok for flying, all classes, once a satisfactory BP report has been received (doctor’s letter containing the basics. There is a template on the CAA website).
And yes, the treatment threshold in the NICE guidelines is 140/90.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Guidelines in the UK, Europe and States (not sure about others as I don't know) would suggest that treatment at or above that level is worthwhile.

Not sure why you think your GP would go for a beta-blocker though as that is not the first choice drug for people who are otherwise OK, and indeed if you are teetering on having diabetes then there may be even more arguments to be had for not starting a beta-blocker as there is some suggestion that it may enhance the chance of developing that.

Under 55 an ace-inhibitor or ARB, over 55 a calcium channel blocker.

The procedure is tell your AME, start drugs, and if after 2 weeks you are fine, tell your AME again and you can go flying again. For Class 2 and 1 I would normally need a chit from your GP to say BP well controlled and no side-effects, for LAPL I am happy when pilots just tell me.
I have been almost 30 years on BP medication and I have held a CAA then EASA medical all that time without problems (other than the odd 2 weeks off to adjust dose).
CAA website refers to latest regulation and says a pilot is unfit with a BP over 160 and or 95.
However, the old leaflet I have from the CAA says over 140/90 needs investigation. That investigation can include a cardiologist report for a class 1 or a GP report for a class 2 so a BP over 140/90 could have involved some expense to keep a medical.
I can't find the up to date guidance on the CAA website so maybe one of the AMEs can say what blood pressure reading will now trigger an AME to ask for reports? Does this conflict with GP guidance as my GP says 140/90 isn't high for someone over 60?
Thank you very much for all the helpful responses

I've sent the averages to the Doc and await a call. 140/90 was the highest reading after walking around then sitting down and testing right away. After relaxing it went down so I think as I continue to lose timber it should right itself. I'll let you know what the MO says.

He did also say I have 'good genes' which I thought surprising for a GP to say. It may be the case that he meant 'it's clear you've lived one hell of a risky life and didn't go to bed until 40 so frankly I'm amazed you're still above ground'

(No diabetes risk assessed currently - phew)

TW