Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was looking for the café in Alton... Please advise where, and I’ll visit it.
By PeteSpencer
MichaelP wrote:
> Is there a competition to see who can offer the biggest piece of Victoria
> Sponge?

Well if there is, Fenland caff is certainly ‘up there’
By Iceman
MichaelP wrote:
> I was looking for the café in Alton... Please advise where, and I’ll visit
> it.

The Alton Hideout Café. The address is available on the web.

Iceman 8)
MichaelP liked this
By NDB_hold
PeteSpencer wrote:
> MichaelP wrote:
> > Is there a competition to see who can offer the biggest piece of Victoria
> > Sponge?
>
>
> Well if there is, Fenland caff is certainly ‘up there’
You’ve reminded me of a great destination I’d forgotten. Is it otherwise as I recall? Not been for >5 years.
By TLRippon
I was in the Turweston cafe on Saturday. Walked in with no booking (Or PPR) shown to a table right away, ordered at the counter, lunch arrived, ate and left. I don't see what everyone is complaining about.

For the brigade who reckon that airfield cafes should only be there for the benefit of pilots, when they can be bothered flying in and in standby mode just in case they take the whim. You know very little about how a business works or how anyone can make a meagre living from the "tight -fisted", entitled GA community.
russp, Spooky, Flyin'Dutch' and 3 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
NDB_hold wrote:

> You’ve reminded me of a great destination I’d forgotten. Is it otherwise as I recall?
> Not been for >5 years.

Well, I think it’s up for sale atm but don’t know the details.

I called in yesterday for avgas ( one of the few self service 7/7 pumps in the region) UL91 and 100 LL available but not cheap .

It was much quieter than a Sunday five years ago that’s for sure - I’ve be been going since the days the NDB was still working and the scrap yard sparkled in the sunlight from miles away as an identifier.
Other advantage is two runways N-S and E-W so rarely a wind problem.

No AG yesterday just self announcing on Fenland freq. Only five ac visitors .

Big advantage though -no PPR required , table immediately available inside or out and no wait for my doorstep of Victoria sponge . :lol:

I hope it remains as an active airfield when new owners found.
Any resident pilots on here able to fill us in? :wink:
By Roger.Wilco
TLRippon wrote:
> I was in the Turweston cafe on Saturday.

Flew into Turweston on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday with instructor and Sunday with a flying friend. Spent time eating lunch at the cafe both times. Saturday was walk-in off the apron. Sunday was prebooked with PPR. The Cafe was busy during both visits - was served as quickly as I'd expect for a busy cafe. Was reduced menu both days - with the reduced menu having enough of a selection in my opinion.

Will be visiting again.
maxalpha liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
Having to pre-book a table is just hopeless for pilots . A dedicated seating and service area for pilots is maybe the answer?
Edit:- Seems like that is what Compton Abbas have already done...Excellent idea!

If I find I can't get food reasoanbly quickly or find I am turned away for not pre-booking at Turweston or anywhere else for that matter it will completely put me off flying in there again! :(
Spooky, flybymike liked this
By TLRippon
Compton Abbas. I don’t want to sit on a hard high stool in a what looks like the back kitchen and eat off a tiny table served from a limited menu. I want to sit at a proper table on a comfortable chair and eat a proper meal. That has been difficult on the last couple of visits. I don’t agree with this segregated seating especially as the pilots seem to get the bum end of the deal.
By patowalker
When did you last visit? Yesterday, the whole of the old cafe, with round tables and standard chairs, was available to visiting pilots. How can that be the bum end of the deal, when the general public has outside seating only?
By skydriller
MichaelP wrote:
> Visited L’ Escale at Le Buckets in March, quiet good too, though their idea of Thai
> was strange.

:lol: :lol: Thats France...if you think Thai is "odd" here, try Indian... :lol: :lol: ...And just remember to bring your own Chilli/Jalapeno sauce if someone offers you "Mexican/Chilli" :-P

But hang on...why fly over to France for lunch and order Thai... :scratch:

Regards, SD..
Rob P liked this
By ChampChump
I visited Turweston midweek - a quiet flying day each time and although all tables were booked, I was accommodated.
The staff were very friendly and we devised a plan that worked. I suppose midweek the various LAA staff, courses, and other office staff can fill the café easily and at weekends it is a different game, which could go either way.

Goodwood yesterday was 'Sorry, no tables at all, try the Horsebox or the cafe in the old tower' (which were less manic).

I don't have any answers, but my wishes may not be typical. Tea is vital. But we want to help keep the eateries open..
Danny, maxalpha liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
All I know is that if I can't get food at an airfield without pre-booking a table I just ain't visiting!
If an airfield cafe can't feed and water a visiting pilot in a timely manner then what is the point of that airfield having a cafe at all?
By the same token these airfield cafes also need to get their priorities in order. The external customers that are vising the airfield cafes and filling up their tables are doing so not only for food but the big attraction is also to watch aeroplanes at the same time as eating. Without any aeroplanes to watch flying in/out the cafe becomes just another roadside cafe/resturant.

So I think the airfield management needs to get involved in this issue and make up its mind if it want pilots flying in at all ?.....Or perhaps all they really want is to be running a cafe/resturant business?
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flew into Stadtlohn yesterday, landed, parked up, ordered a coffee for my companion and a slice of home made apple pie with a coke. Served with a smile within minutes all for €7. The landing fee is €5.
By Rob P
How close to Turweston is that? :lol:

Rob P