Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ozplane
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bit late to this thread but I've just got back from a non-flying week's holiday in the Lake District. It is virtually impossible to find a cup of tea (and some cake) after 1500 which seems very early Apparently the teashops can't find the staff and even the L'enclume, which is a Michelin restaurant, has the same problem and has reduced it's opening hours for the same reason. Perhaps there are some Ukranians who might like to fill the gaps?
By Red
PeteSpencer wrote:I was at Turweston yesterday They have the same staffing shortage problems that most of the hospitality trade has .
Reduced menu , massive wait, folks who hadn’t booked a table were being turned away from 12.30.

I timed it to arrive early, managed to get a table but still waited 50 mins for my burger………. :(

I know this is true im seeing it all over the place but I dont get it, everyone is acting like the pandemic is over and the age group that generally fills this type of opening arent bothered whether they have it or not, so whats driving the ongoing staff shortages?

I just know Im missing something but...
By Spooky
Getting paid a pittance for a hard job being on their feet all day and dealing with the public isn’t exactly attractive.

Currently there are plenty of jobs about so I guess they’re going for easier jobs mashing a keyboard, where they probably get paid more because British work culture is still astounded that someone knows how to turn on a computer :lol:

Having worked in hospitality, I wouldn’t do it again considering the work conditions and pay.
By skydriller
It does not surprise me one bit that any sector that got shut down randomly for 2+years is now finding it hard to get people to come and work in those sectors again. Right now we are seeing the "instant employment" sectors being hit, but other more professional roles requiring training will be hit in due course as those that didnt move to other industries or re-train, get re-employed, but many will have moved on and wont return.

Regards, SD..
By ROG
We"re looking to replace our bathroom---Mr Bathroom said the earliest he can do it is next year--same with another bathroom shop.
Apparently vacancies for jobs everywhere---dodgy combination with inflation forecast.
By JodelDavo
People in the service industries don’t seem to want to work for the pittance they are paid, at a remote airfield site with no public transport links.. Easier to be a YouTube star or influencer…… :roll:

I know of three airfield cafés who are having problems getting staff.

And then there’s Swansea, who haven’t had a café for nearly 10 years….(unless it’s opened recently)
By ozplane
Another problem is limited career progression in the catering business unless you win MasterChef or something similar.