Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JodelDavo
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
> Flew into Stadtlohn yesterday, landed, parked up, ordered a coffee for my
> companion and a slice of home made apple pie with a coke. Served with a
> smile within minutes all for €7. The landing fee is €5.

Another thumbs up for Stadtlohn. How an airfield should be.
Flyin'Dutch', GrahamB liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ChampChump wrote:

>
> Goodwood yesterday was 'Sorry, no tables at all, try the Horsebox or the
> cafe in the old tower' (which were less manic).
>

Eh? What old tower? Have they built a new one? And what's the Horsebox?
By Flyin'Dutch'
JodelDavo wrote:
> Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
> > Another thumbs up for Stadtlohn. How an airfield should be.

Indeed, as are most airfields here. Decent food.

Not so good is the price of go-juice. From expensive 2.50 (Euros) to the sublime 3.33.

I try to keep up with the prices around where I am in SkyDemon. It definitely pays to check before filling up. At a price difference of up to 0.80 Euro at neighbouring airfields it is an expensive mistake to fill up at the 'wrong place'

Dunno if you are based around here but EDLB - Borkenberge is the cheapest in about a 50 NM radius. (if you are based here drop me a PM if you fancy meeting up)
By NDB_hold
The old Goodwood control tower from the wartime airfield (RAF Westhampnett) is outside the racetrack - the old peri track. You walk across the 'paddock' where cars park, under the track in a tunnel, and turn right. It was the default cafe during the building work and is very decent. And quieter.
MichaelP liked this
By CloudHound
I recall the Horsebox being a mobile chuck wagon selling drinks and snacks.

Hope to be at Goodwood this Saturday for VPAC Fly in so will sample and report back.
By ChampChump
All three at Goodwood are part of the same stable (sorry), I think, so there are no great differences in prices. If you prefer PG to aromatic teabags, use the horsebox. The tower cafe has the best views, unsurprisingly. We enjoyed the unexpected sight of a schools' STEM project day - electric cars and many youngsters enjoying the results of their labours.
kanga liked this
By kanga
MichaelP wrote:
> ..
> Is there a competition to see who can offer the biggest piece of Victoria
> Sponge?

ISTR that there is lurking somewhere, possibly on the Forums, a picture of a certain Forumite with an impressive wedge of JAM cafe cake, possibly a Victoria sponge :)
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By TLRippon
patowalker wrote:
> When did you last visit? Yesterday, the whole of the old cafe, with round
> tables and standard chairs, was available to visiting pilots. How can that
> be the bum end of the deal, when the general public has outside seating
> only?
About three weeks ago.
By ROG
If you haven"t been there--try Andrewsfield--usually get served in reasonable time--aircraft to watch
sit out in the sun or inside. Watch out for the wasps though.
By T6Harvard
kanga wrote:MichaelP wrote:
> ..
> Is there a competition to see who can offer the biggest piece of Victoria
> Sponge?

ISTR that there is lurking somewhere, possibly on the Forums, a picture of a certain Forumite with an impressive wedge of JAM cafe cake, possibly a Victoria sponge :)

@kanga - link to the cake picture?
By kanga
T6Harvard wrote:
kanga wrote:.., a picture of a certain Forumite with an impressive wedge of JAM cafe cake, ..

@kanga - link to the cake picture?

It would be easier for the subject of the photo to find than for me (if s/he chooses :) )
T6Harvard liked this
By Lefty
Just for the record, the Waltham FAC took about 10 People to Turweston on Friday afternoon and reported excellent food and very quick service,
By Ridders
I tried posting the ‘cake image’ but the forum refuses to allow me to upload it, preview or post it.
By RisePilot
There are many areas the British population excel ...sadly, speed of service in a cafe/pub/restaurant/coffee shop is not one of those areas.

Doesn't matter whether a greasy spoon cafe or Michelin star restaurant; Brits are comparatively slow.