Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Let’s get a little perspective here.
It’s a once in a lifetime event
Most restrictions will only be for 45 minutes or so - so we should be able to avoid being in the air for that 45 minutes
There is long history of people busting through RAT’s and air displays, w3 also know how easy it is to infringe airspace with complex altitude changes (eg Farnborough).

So if it were me, I’d certainly think it safer to keep it simple and block out the airspace from surface to whatever.
AlanM, Rob P, JAFO liked this
It's also during a lunchtime period so perhaps they thought most pilots would be having lunch or digesting the cake?

Looking at the AIC again, there are not a massive number of airfields within the restricted airspace.

For those GA flights transiting the area during the day they obviously need to be sure they are not within the restricted area the moment the restrictions take effect. How difficult is that? Well they could have closed the whole London FIR to be more sure that does not happen. That would be draconian and the ultimate in simplicity!
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
>
> Looking at the AIC again, there are not a massive number of airfields
> within the restricted airspace.

Not sure what chart you're looking at!

Blackbushe, Popham, White Waltham, Booker, Fairoaks, Denham, Lasham, Thruxton, Earls Colne.... the list goes on! All closed by RA(T). That's probably at least 50% of busy GA airfields under the TMA!
Skylaunch2 wrote:
> GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
> >
> > Looking at the AIC again, there are not a massive number of airfields
> > within the restricted airspace.
>
> Not sure what chart you're looking at!
>
> Blackbushe, Popham, White Waltham, Booker, Fairoaks, Denham, Lasham, Thruxton, Earls
> Colne.... the list goes on! All closed by RA(T). That's probably at least 50% of busy
> GA airfields under the TMA!

Don’t be daft.

They are closed for a MAX of an hour and a quarter. Careful planning by a flying club (is there such a thing?!) would result in no loss of revenue.

Use that time for a turn round.
AlanM liked this
pullup wrote:
> Skylaunch2 wrote:
> > GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
> > >
> > > Looking at the AIC again, there are not a massive number of airfields
> > > within the restricted airspace.
> >
> > Not sure what chart you're looking at!
> >
> > Blackbushe, Popham, White Waltham, Booker, Fairoaks, Denham, Lasham, Thruxton,
> Earls
> > Colne.... the list goes on! All closed by RA(T). That's probably at least 50% of
> busy
> > GA airfields under the TMA!
>
> Don’t be daft.
>
> They are closed for a MAX of an hour and a quarter. Careful planning by a flying club
> (is there such a thing?!) would result in no loss of revenue.
>
> Use that time for a proper briefing (!) and turn round.
By skydriller
G-BLEW wrote:
> it's HUGE

I cant speak for the area, but the file certainly is - no way I can download that where I am right now. :(

But from the list of airfields it looks like most of the SE of England?
The flypast is HUGE. The Jubilee is HUGE.

There are a few airfields under the flypast that are also affected;

London City, Southend and the small field called Heathrow to name a few. If they can cope, I am sure an International GA field can.
AndyR liked this
By Stampe
Given the broken relationship and total lack of trust between GA and the untrustworthy CAA/NATS my advice is to avoid flying anywhere near the proximity of the prohibited area on the day.No accusations can be made and the defence is easily provable if needed.Record all flights on Sky Demon or similar.Makes for a simple life. Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Considerate Compliant.
By MichaelP
It’s a regular event at Redhill Aerodrome, closures!
They do do a nice Coronation Chicken sandwich at the Pilot’s Hub while ATC is shut.

Nothing but absolutely nothing has ever compared to the restrictions threats, and the real actions by the police during the Vancouver Winter Olympics. Having been in that ‘communist’ authoritarian country the minor inconvenience in favour of a national celebration where the locals are encouraged to have fun and street parties is not a problem for me.
Let’s enjoy the day.
By Irv Lee
[usermention=16839]@pullup[/usermention] How many meeting have i sat in where the ones in suits and uniforms think every pilot walks through an ops room and discussed plans and legalities before going out to the aircraft? It isn't the airfields that are going to screw up, they will close, but, how many strips are there? I am not saying every strip flyer will screw up but no doubt word will spread via those incredibly misleading FB UK pilot sites, (i really despair)and no doubt the bit about UTC will not make the cut.
> Blackbushe, Popham, White Waltham, Booker, Fairoaks, Denham, Lasham, Thruxton, Earls
> Colne.... the list goes on! All closed by RA(T). That's probably at least 50% of busy
> GA airfields under the TMA!

There is a competition at Lasham that week. So no launch until 13:30L, no start before 14:30L so reduced tasks.