Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
AlanM wrote:
chevvron wrote:I never heard of anyone at Farnborough getting one;

Spookily enough; we were at Farnborough at the same time. So you do know someone!

Happy Days!

Probably slightly before your time but as they retired, the old Experimental Flying Support Officers (EFSOs, previously known as EFCAs and before that Radio Operators) were awarded an Imperial Service Medal (ISM) but where that comes in the scale of awards I don't know, probably equivalent to my CFM (Cadet Forces Medal) so pretty low.
chevvron wrote:.. Imperial Service Medal (ISM) but where that comes in the scale of awards I don't know, ..

ISMs are in the 'long service' group; military equivalent is probably now GSM. They are still awarded, but now rarely; last was one in Birthday Honours last year, to a retiring MoD civilian. They are awarded, AIUI, only on retirement, for long service (25y in UK, may be shorter if service was in more hostile climates) in a civilian capacity for HMG, but usually in a low grade, clerical or 'industrial'. I'm guessing that these days not many serve in such grades for so long unpromoted. I would also not be surprised that reductions in such awards is partly because so many of the roles in those lower grade posts have been outsourced or privatised :?

[Cadet Forces Medals are given for long continuous service, not necessarily on retirement: 12y on first award, further clasp(s) after 8y. I had colleagues with 2 clasps, so 28+ years]
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Maybe they should realise that giving an ISM is not appropriate anymore under the trade description act as there is no longer an imperium?

Whoa there, next you’ll be questioning the appointments to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
kanga wrote:
chevvron wrote:.. Imperial Service Medal (ISM) but where that comes in the scale of awards I don't know, ..

ISMs are in the 'long service' group; military equivalent is probably now GSM.

No, the GSM is awarded for campaign service overseas (which included Northern Ireland). The military long service medals (different for the 3 services) are based entirely on length of service and good conduct (i.e. any crimes are undiscovered!); they extended it to RAF officers after I left...
kanga liked this
By Rjk983
Dominie wrote:
kanga wrote:

ISMs are in the 'long service' group; military equivalent is probably now GSM.

No, the GSM is awarded for campaign service overseas (which included Northern Ireland). The military long service medals (different for the 3 services) are based entirely on length of service and good conduct (i.e. any crimes are undiscovered!); they extended it to RAF officers after I left...

Pedant mode - The GSM as described above ceased to be awarded in 2007. You would get one GSM with the green and purple ribbon, along with clasps for each qualifying operational theatre or part of the world. So if you had been on three qualifying ops, you would only have one medal. Since 2008 it has been pretty much limited to service in Africa, the Middle East and a bit of Asia, but only if not on a n operation that qualifies for the OSM.

It was pretty much superseded by the Operational Service Medal. The main difference being you can be awarded multiple OSMs. The medal is the same each time, but the ribbon colours change for each operation, along with a clasp with the name of the operation. So now you can release your inner Mutley.

Here is a handy guide that will allow you to jump up and down at the telly next time you see some fictional character with an impossible combination of ribbons… just me then…

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-camp ... ligibility
kanga liked this
Can anyone figure out if the area around Biggin Hill will be affected on 2nd June? The AIC circulars suggests so (Area F) but in SD/NOTAM looking at long/lats it doesnt appear to and there is no mention of Area F
By Lefty
marioair wrote:Can anyone figure out if the area around Biggin Hill will be affected on 2nd June? The AIC circulars suggests so (Area F) but in SD/NOTAM looking at long/lats it doesnt appear to and there is no mention of Area F

If you read the AIC it is very clear. Area F is closed between 11.50 and 12.30 UTC.
JAFO liked this
By Cub
marioair wrote:Yes - but trying to tally that with the NOTAM - can’t see mention of Area F, but it lists the others? Which takes priority :)

I think you are looking at the wrong NOTAM. It is grouped with areas G, H and I in EGGN/J1514/22 and is accurately depicted in SkyDemon.