Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
AlanM wrote:
> xtophe wrote:
> > Considering the extent of the restrictions, it is not "just 45 min"
> when
> > you consider you need to have vacated the area.
> >
> > By example, (competition) gliding activity which could have started at 10:00Z
> will
> > wait until 12:30Z => 2.5 hours lost.
>
> I would suggest that HM’s flypast was easier to predict than a gliding competition.
> Surely the BGA was represented and knew this was going to happen.

No knowledge of anything bigger than the standard Trooping the Colour airspace which is probably 40% smaller in volume.

Gliding Competitions get notified 6+ months in advance. Why is it such a hard ask for the regulator to publish major airspace restrictions more than a month in advance if it is that easy to predict!

BTW those in the south also have two weeks of notable airspace restrictions to look forward to in mid July I'm told for a civil trade airshow which still haven't been published, why?
Last edited by Skylaunch2 on Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
UV wrote:
> xtophe wrote:
> > Considering the extent of the restrictions, it is not "just 45 min"
> when
> > you consider you need to have vacated the area.
> >
> > By example, (competition) gliding activity which could have started at 10:00Z
> will
> > wait until 12:30Z => 2.5 hours lost.
>
> But you still have a contest day from 13.30 L . And the other 8 days.
> Hardly an enormous hardship!

I think we can all place bets which one day of the week will be the only reasonable flying day now! :P
Sooty25 liked this
If it affects you, why not enjoy it? I can remember a similar mass flypast about 10 years ago. It was a lovely day. Read the NOTAM thoroughly and son and I set sail to Stapleford arriving 30 minutes before the event. Got some lunch and settled down by a table outside just as the first aircraft in the flypast flew past the bottom of the airfield. Thoroughly enjoyed the airshow. Got back into 'JP some 20 minutes after the last aircraft had flown past and went back to Shoreham. Lovely day out. Let's face it, if the weather is rubbish then you wouldn't go flying anyway.
AlanM, JAFO liked this
Pcdabbler wrote:
> Surely the event should be renamed the London Jubilee Flypast ?

I think the point is that it flies past Her Majesty. She can hardly be in more than one place! If the formation flew around the entire country all the moaners would complain about the cost...
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dominie wrote:
>
> I think the point is that it flies past Her Majesty. She can hardly be in more than
> one place! If the formation flew around the entire country all the moaners would
> complain about the cost...

They’ve missed a trick then, if they load her into the lead aircraft they can go wherever they want and give everyone a show.

It might make the NOTAM a bit more complicated though.
By Rjk983
I searched COP26 too, but displayed individual posts, there is the 3 page moan (fully justified) about the inability of anyone official to get correct wording of the NOTAM so that it correctly represented the airspace, other than that there doesn’t seem to be 4 pages complaining about the airspace restriction itself.
By skydriller
Rjk983 wrote:
> there doesn’t seem to be 4 pages complaining about the
> airspace restriction itself.

There isnt much gnashing of teeth and there arent 4 pages of complaining either, from what I have read quite a few posts appear to thonk it rather reasonable...
AlanM liked this
By TheFarmer
It’s 45 minutes, and it’s a huge military flypast to celebrate an amazing person’s reign.

If people can’t deal with not being able to fly for such a tiny part of their life, for a person who’s led this country so brilliantly, and for so long, I’m almost glad they’re annoyed about it.

As is often the case here, I think the monthly ‘keyboard hours’ and ‘flying hours’ carried out by certain contributors are inversely proportional… :roll:

If one is planning to fly that day, why not just get down on the ground for 45 mins, enjoy the display, and then carry on at 1235 hrs. :thumleft:
TopCat, kanga, Nick and 9 others liked this
This reminds me of my sister's opposition to road closures in Surrey during Ride London. She hasn't worked for 20 years, her husband is retired but she still managed to complain that she couldn't go to Epsom on Sunday! Why don't you go on Monday then :D
This will be the last such event for a very long time, my inability to fly out of Popham for 45 minutes on one day is hardly threatening the fabric of GA in the UK.
kanga, TheFarmer, Nick and 7 others liked this