Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Really? Sfc upwards THAT far away? (Will try and find a link)
And so carefully thought out :roll: for example
No kites UNDER 2kg? At least kiddies at parties who trip and let go of their jubilee helium balloon will be under the age of prosecution (see "16 This restriction also includes, any small balloon, any kite weighing not more than 2 KG")
By Irv Lee
Somewhere in England, probably with Zoom access, a few weeks ago:
"Right chaps, we can either analyse the needs, or we can go to lunch early by saying "sfc to" over enormous parts of Southern England and press 'print' ... Quick vote?.... Ok, i am hungry too, lunch it is. See you all again sometime, probably a few weeks before the next coronation, hope they don't invent anything as horrible as cold curried chicken for the next, like they did in '53, we might not be as keen on lunch if they do"
Last edited by Irv Lee on Sun May 08, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
What an absurd restriction. The timings are reasonable but whose idea was it to restrict blocks of airspace from the surface upwards? I don’t think that’s ever been done before for these things.

Someone has been a bit lazy here. Is it the CAA?
Maybe they listened too much to all those bleating about overcrowded skies.

(Lovely flying day today.... have a look at a flight tracker and check out the GA traffic density.... so much natural 2D separation in evidence, and even more separation when consider altitudes :whistle: ).

Anyway, we will only have one Platinum Jubilee in our lifetimes so I say good luck to them and hope its a great day and the best weather for it.
Irv Lee wrote:
> Somewhere in England, probably with Zoom access, a few weeks ago:
> "Right chaps, we can either analyse the needs, or we can go to lunch
> early by saying "sfc to" over enormous parts of Southern England
> and press 'print' ... Quick vote?.... Ok, i am hungry too, lunch it is.
> See you all again sometime, probably a few weeks before the next
> coronation, hope they don't invent anything as horrible as cold curried
> chicken for the next, like they did in '53, we might not be as keen on
> lunch if they do"

... they will probably ask Mr Sengupta to test the Jubilee Cake, and SkyDemon could have a special Find Destination feature where he has given the cake the thumbs up ahead of the main formation!
kanga liked this
Tim Dawson wrote:
> What an absurd restriction. The timings are reasonable but whose idea was
> it to restrict blocks of airspace from the surface upwards? I don’t think
> that’s ever been done before for these things.
>
> Someone has been a bit lazy here. Is it the CAA?

The CAA having prosecuted, no less than an Examiner on a test, for infringing a recent London Flypast are very wise this time!
AlanM liked this
By Micromouse
>
> The CAA having prosecuted, no less than an Examiner on a test, for infringing a
> recent London Flypast are very wise this time!

Do you have a reference?
Micromouse wrote:
> >
> > The CAA having prosecuted, no less than an Examiner on a test, for infringing a
> > recent London Flypast are very wise this time!
>
> Do you have a reference?

https://www.caa.co.uk/media/ez5otyz2/ca ... 8-2019.pdf

Note as well as the Queens Birthday flypast infringement, this list alone also includes two other airshow infringements.
Last edited by pullup on Sun May 08, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanM liked this
Cub wrote:
> I wonder if any of the alphabet organisations might comment on the level of
> consultation and their response to this apparently draconian approach to
> accommodating a flypast?

DRACONIAN?
What’s draconian about airspace closed for a MAXIMUM of just an hour and a quarter (and some parts only 40 minutes) to ensure the safety of a major flypast?
The size might be large but so is the formation.
Surely a private pilot can delay for an hour or two??
Safety first?
tr7v8 liked this
[usermention=16839]@pullup[/usermention] - I believe that [usermention=2700]@Cub[/usermention] was being a little bit tongue in cheek there! There will have been a huge stakeholder involvement for a long time in the planning stage.

And yes, a sense of perspective needed here. Previous issues of Infringements on such flypasts are pretty common. I have worked similar flypasts and trust me, keeping everything out of the way and reaching the Mall +/- one second needed for the task is safer.

If it is done for POTUS It can be done for Her Majesty.
townleyc liked this