Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Not that I am particularly fazed by this, but it looks as if we can operate from Tibenham as long as we take off on 08 and land on 26. :lol:

Rob P
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am genuinely fascinated by the responses to this thread. Having spent many years honing down airspace applications to the minimum that is actually required to safely accomplish a task and endeavoring to reduce the impact of such tasks on other airspace users, I am quite surprised that people seem ambivalent about the fact that their particular activity is curtailed for 45 mins or an hour in the middle of the day when, in reality, they are never likely to be within several miles or many thousands of feet of a task participant.

It certainly makes for easier workup of these sorts of tasks and far less complex airspace structures/ descriptors and ultimately a far greater safety margin in segregating operations. I do wonder if it may set a desirable precedent for other future segregated operations though?
Rob P, AlanM liked this
Considering the extent of the restrictions, it is not "just 45 min" when you consider you need to have vacated the area.

By example, (competition) gliding activity which could have started at 10:00Z will wait until 12:30Z => 2.5 hours lost.
xtophe wrote:
> Considering the extent of the restrictions, it is not "just 45 min" when
> you consider you need to have vacated the area.
>
> By example, (competition) gliding activity which could have started at 10:00Z will
> wait until 12:30Z => 2.5 hours lost.

But you still have a contest day from 13.30 L . And the other 8 days.
Hardly an enormous hardship!
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cub wrote:
> I am genuinely fascinated by the responses to this thread. Having spent
> many years honing down airspace applications to the minimum that is
> actually required to safely accomplish a task and endeavoring to reduce the
> impact of such tasks on other airspace users, I am quite surprised that
> people seem ambivalent about the fact that their particular activity is
> curtailed for 45 mins or an hour in the middle of the day when, in reality,
> they are never likely to be within several miles or many thousands of feet
> of a task participant.
>
> It certainly makes for easier workup of these sorts of tasks and far less
> complex airspace structures/ descriptors and ultimately a far greater
> safety margin in segregating operations. I do wonder if it may set a
> desirable precedent for other future segregated operations though?

Do you mean 'Ambivalent?'

Ambivalent is completely the right word for my response to these restrictions;

They've never affected me in the slightest and I don't give a terpenny ferk.................

On the very rare occasions I've phoned the supplied mobile number for more info on the (-military based-) Notams which frequently overlap our strip, I nine times out of ten get an erk who says " Nah mate, they've all gorn 'ome; finished for the week on toosdy."

The jury's still out on the Windsor to Sandringham helo corridors now Brenda's a bit less agile: I'm guessing they'll become a bit more frequent. :roll:
xtophe wrote:
> Considering the extent of the restrictions, it is not "just 45 min" when
> you consider you need to have vacated the area.
>
> By example, (competition) gliding activity which could have started at 10:00Z will
> wait until 12:30Z => 2.5 hours lost.

I would suggest that HM’s flypast was easier to predict than a gliding competition. Surely the BGA was represented and knew this was going to happen.
xtophe wrote:
> AlanM wrote:
> > Surely the BGA was represented and knew this was going to happen.
>
> Some posters suggest there was some discussions or consultations on this , I haven't
> seen any evidence either way.

It is definitely worth seeing what each organisation was aware of then, isn’t it. I would guess that most of the differing organisations have members on here.
I would be interested to know what, if any, consultation took place & whether advanced warning was given (dates for some activities such as competitions are planned up to a year in advance).

As some say this is a bit of a "one off" although it will be inconvenient for cross-country flying of all types. TBH I'm more concerned with the steady stream of Royal Flight Notams which pop up at very short notice, seem to be a random shape every time, are often at inconvenient times & if you actually call up you find out the flight took place at a different time anyway!

With luck it will be raining on the day anyway :lol:

Edit: Nothing on the BGA website / airspace news yet, which makes me wonder if they were not made aware of this in advance.
FieldLander liked this
Indeed, it is not 'just' the times stated - not for flying training businesses at airfields within the affected areas. They will need to plan to have all aircraft on the ground well before the start time with a large (1hr+) margin for safety.

Anyone with a bit of common sense would also be planning transits of the areas with a similarly large margin. Planning to exit the zone 5 minutes before it goes live or barrelling towards it intending to enter just as it becomes inactive is a recipe for a cock-up.
Rob P wrote:
> Not that I am particularly fazed by this, but it looks as if we can operate
> from Tibenham as long as we take off on 08 and land on 26. :lol:
>
> Rob P

A little tight for me as well, shouldn't be a problem if I stay below the tree line for the first quarter of a mile though! :D
AlanM, Rob P liked this