Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
'Memory fact' (so not to be believed without actual evidence): i think they have reissued expired jaa licences as easa ones in the past without a full class 2. If they did, it was because legally, all JAA licences had been designated as Easa ones in 2012, even though they had expiry dates.
Dodo wrote:
> I just wondered if OP might have an expired JAR licence that really does
> need renewing, rather than a lifelong UK PPL or UK Issued EASA PPL with a
> rating that needs renewing.
>
> I don't think that means he can't renew it with a PMD but it might explain
> the terminology in the original post.

I believe it's a UK issued EASA PPL.

Here are the redacted copies of my documentation in a single jpg ( I hope it attaches).

The class 2 medical expired on 1 April 2016.

What I'm still not clear on is whether or not a self-declaration is sufficient considering my medical expired some time ago.

I understand the limitations of UK-only flying.

FWIW, my long-sightedness has improved to such a degree since that medical, that I no longer need to wear glasses for driving, although I have been wearing them for flying.

In the meantime, I signed up on the CAA portal website medical bit, and I'm now awaiting a response.

By Irv Lee
Self declare ok for sep renewal, obtainable once you get into the portal. In fact the examiners handbook tells them they can renew without the pilot having a medical at all as long as the pilot is warned not to fly p1 til they have a medical to do so. (I suspect that might be the oddball case where a test when passed is logged pu/t rather than p1/s but i would have to check... I think all mine have had at least a pmd. )
The initial ppl skill test can be with the student having an expired class 2, (they must have had a class 2 for solo) it is just that the caa will not issue the ppl til they renew the class 2. Then after they have had the ppl issued, the pilot could revert to a lower level medical when the class 2 expires again
By riverrock
Just to check, examiner's handbook https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Fl ... 202020.pdf states:
2.3.2 Checks, tests and assessments of competence for rating or certificate issue, renewal or
revalidation may be carried out on individuals whose licence or medical is out of date.
[...]
For any check, test or assessment of competence that requires the applicant’s licence to be reissued,
the applicants will be required to state on the application form that they have a current medical
certificate or that they have a medical examination booked. The CAA will not re-issue a licence
unless the applicant has a current medical certificate.

No mention of pilot medical declaration in there (something about an EASA Medical Declaration (LAPL) - are they still a thing?)

So if a rating needs added to an existing licence, so licence needs re-printed, will a PMD suffice?
By Irv Lee
[usermention=10739]@riverrock[/usermention]
Examiner Handbook is from 2020, but the permanent amendments to whatever bits are needed to be changed to add pmd into uk version of both part fcl and part med were later... jan 2021
riverrock liked this
By riverrock
Irv Lee wrote:
> [usermention=10739]@riverrock[/usermention]
> Examiner Handbook is from 2020, but the permanent amendments to whatever
> bits are needed to be changed to add pmd into uk version of both part fcl
> and part med were later... jan 2021
Thanks - I'm not an examiner - couldn't find any amendments publicly online.

A fellow group member has been told by an examiner that he needs a medical to get his SEP rating (he has a licence, but I'm not sure which type) - I have a suspicion that the examiner doesn't have those amendments either!
I completed my PMD successfully just now.

At the club yesterday there was still some confusion. The end result was the view was that that as I have a part-FCL PPL rather than NPPL or a UK PPL, I still need a class 2 medical.

However if I am reading this thread correctly, it seems that the online guidance that was being used (https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/ ... te-pilots/) has since been overtaken by newer legislation here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... ion/4/made

Is that the long and the short of it?
By Paul Stout
Hi

I have a `UK PPL and currently fly Piper Warriors within Uk

What are the benefits of a PMD and how long are they valid

What are the downside?

I have a class 2 at present that I have to renew each year due to age

Assuming based on the type of flying I complete, I can go down the PMD Route

Thanks
By Irv Lee
usermention=600]@Paul Stout[/usermention]
If you are 50+ then your class 2 becomes a lapl medical automatically anyway, usable for your sort of flying if it is vfr, then you can go pmd if you want
Paul Stout liked this
Just renewed my PMD via the Cellma system and found that there are separate selections for Part 21 and non Part 21 aircraft. As I can fly both types, does the Part 21 version read across to non Part 21 or do I need a second PMD for the later?
Irv Lee wrote:usermention=600]@Paul Stout[/usermention]
If you are 50+ then your class 2 becomes a lapl medical [which is valid for 2 years at that age] automatically anyway, usable for your sort of flying if it is vfr, then you can go pmd if you want

Added by me to clarify for Paul. Effectively one year as class 2 plus one year as LAPL medical. So, if you don't go outside the LAPL restrictions, you are good for two years.
Paul Stout liked this
By russp
Boxkite wrote:
Irv Lee wrote:usermention=600]@Paul Stout[/usermention]
If you are 50+ then your class 2 becomes a lapl medical [which is valid for 2 years at that age] automatically anyway, usable for your sort of flying if it is vfr, then you can go pmd if you want

Added by me to clarify for Paul. Effectively one year as class 2 plus one year as LAPL medical. So, if you don't go outside the LAPL restrictions, you are good for two years.

But is there any actual advantage in having a LAPL medical over a PMD? If you don’t need the class 2 in the second year why pay to renew your class 2 at all?