Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Folks

After a seven year hiatus, I'm three hours into training to renew my PPL.

I'm doing the training away from home: I've found myself doing some consultancy work for the next few months, and was looking for something constructive to do in the early evenings rather than binge watching Netflix from a soulless chain hotel room.

As the airfield's only ten minutes from work, it seemed like a no brainer considering my home airport is 45 minutes to an hour.

As I'm probably only a couple of weeks from going solo, I asked the instructor if he could recommend a local AME: my home one seems to have retired.

He responded that I may not need a medical, and may be able to self-declare to go solo.

Can the collective knowledge of the forum come to any definitive conclusion on whether self-declaration is reasonable for a PPL renewal or not? My last Class 2 medical expired in 2015. FWIW, I'm the wrong side of 55 but the right side of 60, and generally in good health although lockdown hasn't done the old waistline any favours.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
The main point as I understand it you need to have a class 2 medical (OR 1) before you can get a PMD.
So once you have your class 2 medical--then you also have an LAPL---which gives you another year without having to have another medical,--as shown on your medical certificate.--but you cannot get a PMD with an LAPL
Not sure about different ages--but advised that a pilot over 70 with a full PPL medical can apply for a PMD--while holding his PPL--which then lasts 3 years--in line with the driving license.
So for example a 72 year old whose ppl medical expires in december, can apply in november for a PMD which gives him 3 years more from the november--after that presumably he applies for a PMD every 3 years to continue flying.
The whole subject of medicals/licenses is full of ambiguities.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No it isn't ambiguous; what is a problem that people with a poor grasp of the regulations post statements as facts, as you just do in your post.

The correct advice has already been given, not just by two folks who know the rules but als endorsed by someone who is known to us to be an expert and knowledgeable instructor in this area.

Don't post stuff which is incorrect.
Rjk983, JAFO, patowalker and 2 others liked this
By Dodo
I just wondered if OP might have an expired JAR licence that really does need renewing, rather than a lifelong UK PPL or UK Issued EASA PPL with a rating that needs renewing.

I don't think that means he can't renew it with a PMD but it might explain the terminology in the original post.
By Flyin'Dutch'
HI ROG,

Follow this link and start reading from where it says:

https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/ ... te-pilots/

>>>>>Self-declaring your medical fitness using the Pilot Medical Declaration

The insert a photo function does not work yet, otherwise I would have added a picture of the text.
Last edited by Flyin'Dutch' on Sat May 07, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.