Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Danny
Hi,

Obviously being a sensible chap I've been obtaining my NOTAM from Skydemon for a long time, however with my impending CPL skills test I have been getting to grips with the "official" site in case the examiner insists on this.

Having used the old site before the alleged upgrade I seem to remember that you could specify bearing and distance from a navaid in the "route" section, eg POL 130050 as a way point. Having played around with the site if I try to do this it does not show up as an error but upon looking at the map facility the route always goes directly TO the facility, rather than to the offset position. The minimal instructions specify that any designator in ENR4.1 or 4.4, as well as lat/long ate acceptable. Obviously it does not state that distance/bearing can be used on this version of the website but I can't help but wonder why on earth we can no longer do this, and why it does not return an error when I try.

Can anyone confirm if the ability to specify distance/bearing from a navaid has indeed been withdrawn or is it the map that is not displaying my chosen route correctly? If the site returned an error when I try then I would be in no doubt but it just seems to ignore it.

Any searches for an instruction manual just seem to return one for the old site which confirm the ability to do this.

Cheers,

Danny
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes it is the space wot dun it. CPT270015 is the way to do it. It’s the same for FP filing. I believe the software is the same as AFPEX use but I may be misinformed, I often am!
Danny liked this
By Danny
Thanks Sir Steven, just tried that but it seems to have the same result when I look at the map with route going directly over CPT. Does it offset the turning point from the VOR when you do it? I wonder if I should try it on a different device... I'll report back.

Cheers,

Danny
By Danny
Sorted, after trying various permutations of bearing/distance from CPT (the last one being 200 miles north.. ) I've finally realised that the NOTAM are correctly returned and it just appears to be the red line on the map function that joins the departure and destination aerodromes via the OVERHEAD of the navaids, rather than the offset position.. That's a few hours of my life I'll never get back! Thanks for the responses and I hope to never need to use the site again soon :shock:
By Danny
ArrowStraight wrote:
> I use it every day without any problems

When you click the "map" feature (having requested a bearing/distance from a navaid rather than overhead the navaid as a waypoint) does your red line show the actual requested route or does it show the line going overhead the navaid?

That's what has been confusing me as my red line doesn't reflect my requested route, though I have ascertained through trial and error that the NOTAM returned DO actually reflect my route.

Cheers,

Danny