Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ibra wrote:
> I would love to read the NTSB report….way more interesting than “wing did
> exceed max AOA”
If it was AAIB it wouldn't require a detailed investigation as noone was injured. So I'm sure the report submitted by the pilot would be something like:
The aircraft entered an uncontrollable spin while handing over control to another pilot. Pilot parachuted to safety. Aircraft was damaged beyond economic repair. :pirat:
Ibra, Flyin'Dutch', Paul_Sengupta and 1 others liked this
By Micromouse
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Red Bull gives you wiings..... or in this case takes them away.....
This is a non-event. They drop stuff all the time out in the desert where this was done (Eloy). They fairly routinely drop cars from the sky in this location; I’ve got a video of them dropping a whole living room suite out of the back of a plane.

If done over remote uninhabited areas (without risk of fire) and the participants clean up their rubbish/mess when done, there is nothing wrong with this.

Nothing wrong with someone doing something for fun that doesn't endanger anyone else - even if you don't like it.
Colonel Panic liked this
I assume the aircraft insurers won't pay out on a stunt like this. I refer to the hull insurance assuming there was some in place. However, I do wonder if there is the odd insurance actuary seeing this and factoring it into every other premium, just in case another couple of clowns try to repeat it.
When you've got idiots like these and the chap who crashed the Taylorcraft to deal with, you kind of see why the FAA are getting hard on all the GA pilots.

"Red Bull said in a statement on Thursday that "this is a matter between the Federal Aviation Administration and the two pilots.""
Ñever mind the sponsorship deal, we'll duck out of this!

Makes you wonder if Trent Palmer, being well known, just became a target and "any excuse" applied.