Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MikeW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My quote from Trafford's does not have a sublimit, they have specifically confirmed that.
I'm not sure what Boxkite is worried about.
The only question is what CSL one needs to have to be reasonably secure.
My thinking is, and it is something to consider when trying to work out what is adequate passenger cover for your aircraft, depends to a certain extent on the age range and present/future income potential of the passengers you intend to carry.
A bright 21yearold undergraduate passenger with his whole working life future ahead of him would probably sue you and get £5-10million + if he ended up seriously disabled and his whole future affected when the accident case went to court which almost certainly it would, wheras a retired 65yearold would probably only get I guess something like a mere £2million.

Passenger liability cover I think is a diificult thing to assess but get it wrong and there is the potential in the event of an accident, regardless of blame, you ending up bankrupt, no house, no savings.... nothing! :cry:
By MikeW
I can't disagree with your reasoning.
So on that basis, if you have 3 passenger seats, you want a CSL of around £30M with no sublimit (or a sublimit of not less than £10M per passenger anyway)! I wonder if anyone does?
Astonishingly, the legislation only requires most non commercial flights to cover 250,000SDR per passenger and that's what the LAA scheme and some others are offering.
In fact, for very light aircraft, an even lower amount is permitted, I think it's 100,000 or maybe 120,000SDR. I forget the actual weight limit but I think it would cover a lot of LAA types. It's in the EC regulation.
(1SDR is a bit over £1.)

Edit - below 2,700MTOM a country can choose to reduce the min to not less than 100,000.
On the Visicover website you can choose whatever Passenger Liability amount you wish to have and it then it calculates your quote along with whatever other parameters you have punched in.
I like Visicover for that reason, you can play around with the numbers and tailor your individual quote accordingly.
I have found that over the years Traffords have blown hot and cold, being very competitive one year and then miles out next year. They also wouldn't quote me one year for some reason , wouldn't tell me why, and so I don't even request a quote from them anymore in spite of the occasional email flyer from them!
By Sooty25
It was in the Popham thread that someone mentioned there should be more events inviting the public in and getting them flying.

Has nobody realised that one of the reasons behind the lack of these events, could actually be third party cover? I was sadly present at such an event where a passenger lost their life, and the resultant claim nearly bankrupt the club and all concerned.

However, if insurers went over to unlimited policies like car insurance, most of us would be priced out of the sky. It would be interesting to see the calculations behind GA insurance, to see if we are actually being robbed blind!

Third party cover is one of the reasons why I normally fly solo.
By Sooty25
True, but in the event of a claim, the insurers don't hand over a blank cheque, pay out still has to be justified.

I'd be curious to see, how much in third party injury/death payments have been made in GA claims in the past few years.
By MikeW
Brian Davies wrote:I have just had an e-mail from Air Courtage, the LAA insurance broker, confirming that they have negotiated the removal of the sublimit. The CSL is now £2,300,000

Sorry I should have reported that a couple of days ago. I think it's down to sustained pressure from LAA.
The CSL can be whatever you want with a minimum of £1.7M.
By flyingearly
I'm interested in picking this thread up as it created some healthy discussion amongst our group on Whatsapp.

Specifically, what passenger limit do others have?

Our microlight group is run via LTD company and so my understanding is there is slightly better protection in the event of an accident, but currently insured to £2M passenger limit.

Our renewal is coming up in the next fortnight and Visicover quoting an additional £360 pa to increase from £2M to £5M, or an additional £930 pa to go from £2M to £5M.

On reading this thread when it started, I got a bit panicced, to be honest. So far, only family members have been flown but I'm planning more trips with friends this year - some of whom earn a lot more money than I do!

In the (hopefully) unlikely event that something happened, should I be worried about a £2M limit given the LTD ownership? It's difficult to know where you draw the line (I'm assuming if I wiped out someone earning £1M a year, then the passenger liability limit is pretty academic?)
Limited company status won't give you any protection in the event of a claim being made against the pilot!
Deciding on the amount for passenger liability as I said before is a difficult assesssment depending on the profile of the passengers you intend to carry.
I think only you, and your group in your case, can decide and feel comfortable with the amount of passenger liability cover you negotiate with your insurance company.
Trying to save the odd hundred quid at insurance renwal time could cost you dear in the event of something going wrong which as we all know it quickly can when flying.
By RisePilot
flyingearly wrote: Visicover quoting an additional £360 pa to increase from £2M to £5M, or an additional £930 pa to go from £2M to £5M.

I'm not providing financial advice here, but I would go with the £360/yr option if both are for same level of cover from same company. :D

Secondly, I'd implore you not seek/take financial advice from a UK GA forum.