Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingearly
RisePilot wrote:
flyingearly wrote: Visicover quoting an additional £360 pa to increase from £2M to £5M, or an additional £930 pa to go from £2M to £5M.

I'm not providing financial advice here, but I would go with the £360/yr option if both are for same level of cover from same company. :D

Secondly, I'd implore you not seek/take financial advice from a UK GA forum.

LOL :) No advice being taken here...merely trying to poll what £M coverage others have! £5M wouldn't be sufficient if I took a passenger who earns £1M a year flying (alas, I wish I was in that bracket!)

In all sincerity - this whole thread has really put me off flying, or at least flying with passengers who are not my family. Not because of the content of the thread itself, but just because it does make you think about risk in a very focused way.

If I had the misfortune to have an accident - which as a low hours pilot, statistically I may be more susceptible to - I don't really want to lose my house due to a litigious insurance firm, or an ambulance chaser (I was reading this earlier: https://www.irwinmitchell.com/news-and- ... ance-rules).
By Sooty25
flyingearly wrote:.....

Our microlight group is run via LTD company and so my understanding is there is slightly better protection in the event of an accident, but currently insured to £2M passenger limit.

My understanding is, the Limited company helps in the event of one of the other pilots having an accident. It isolates you you from being an "owner/partner" in the aircraft, which is what you are in a syndicate.

For example, if the pilot missed a defect in his pre-flight checks that then caused an accident, you as a partner might become a target for the claim. In your case, the limited company becomes the target, and that only has the aircraft as an asset. To go beyond the limited company and get to you, they then need to start proving negligence on your part.

It may also help if you are the pilot and the cause is a defect that can be attributed to a third party such as a maintenance contractor and not your fault.

Irwin Mitchell will always want a bigger level of cover to claim from, it's what pays their bills!

the above comments may be worth what you paid for it, zero!
By flyingearly
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
flyingearly wrote:an additional £360 pa to increase from £2M to £5M, or an additional £930 pa to go from £2M to £5M.

Say again, over...?

As per RisePilot's comment!

Sorry - typo! I mean £5M and £10M!

Our premium is currently £X for £2M combined limit; it is £X + £360 if we want £5M limit and it is £X + £930 for £10M.