Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Hairyplane
An update for you!
My Grob 109b is now on the Hvar airstrip for the season, having been ferried by the legendary Tim Dews of Airborne Composites, plus chum Chris Maynard. Their trip was an adventure in itself, completed in 13hrs total flying time over 2 days.
Operating out of our island paradise is very simple. Fuel is available on nearby Brac, Split Radar could not be more helpful.
A BIG thank you to Tim for his awesome skills in preparing my gorgeous aircraft and for delivering it. A BIG thank you too to Vertigo Covers. The cover set we took out in advance is amazing, and well worth the investment. I am currently in Blighty but the reports from the island after 140kph winds show that my precious aircraft is totally fine.
There are plenty of tie downs, the strip is great. Care needs to be taken to avoid prop tip abrasion. We have flown several hours off it so far and no problems.
Feel free to call me any time if you plan to visit. Fellow aviators will be well looked after if we are there. Transport to and from, accomodation etc.
Hurrah!
HP
07717 804085
Hollowaypr@aol.com
Stampe, Dave W, TonyC and 2 others liked this
By Hairyplane
An update for you! We have enjoyed 6 months of amazing flying from Hvar Airstrip LDSH, literally 5 minutes from my holiday home in 'Little Venice' Vrboska.
A huge vote of thanks to Vertigo Covers whose outstanding cover set protected my machine from the occasional Bora winds. I also specified extra padding in case of hail. A local chum also provided some concrete-filled tyre tiedowns. Perfect!
Fuel is a doddle from the under-used pristine airport LDSB on Brac Island just a few minutes North.
I look back fondly on my last flight there last week. We flew up to Losinj LDLO, took a taxi ( their Follow-Me car!) into town and enjoyed some world class seafood in the pretty fishing harbour. We then detoured back over the hundreds of islands, out to the Island of Vis and looked down at the tantalising disused airstrip there. Check out its huge WW2 history. It is also a scuba diving Mecca in view of the WW2 aircraft wrecks. Lots on the Net, and Youtube.
There are several GA friendly airfields around including Sinj LDSS, again a spectacular flight over the mountains.
I am in dialogue with the owner of The Aerodrom Restaurant on Vis and he seems keen to support the use of the airfield. It was cleared and used occasionally a few years back but is now largely overgrown again, used only by the local cricket club.
I plan to RIB it out there in the Spring, enjoy the restaurant and gently explore the resurrection of the airstrip. It would make a fantastic trip out from Hvar next season, barely 20 miles away.
Again, if anybody wants to know more, and Maybe think about coming out, by light aircraft or commercial , please get in touch with me on 07717 804085.
I have been flying since 1975. Flying in Croatia is the best ever, and boy have I flown to some nice places!
Tim Dews is on his way out by road shortly to collect the aircraft. Not a great idea to attempt the Alps at this time of year in a motorglider!
HP
Dave W, nallen liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
H,

Is the 109 coming back for the winter or staying out there for next year?

We had liked to come to Croatia this summer in the Robin - the weather decided differently. The Alps, as you say, can play havoc with all well laid plans.

Trust you're keeping well.
By Hairyplane
All good thanks! The 109b has to come back to Blighty so it will be collected by road in the next couple of weeks. It will go straight to Airborne composites for maintenance and then.. I’m undecided what to do with it before it goes out again late April. I’ve recently sold my gorgeous Arrow so I now have ‘less than two’ aircraft! It will happily sit outside over the winter thanks to Vertigo Covers, not sure where yet. Leicester was great for the Arrow but hope to have the Grob closer to home. Hard runway essential, Watch this space!
Please try to fly down next season, you will be well looked after. A set of covers essential, it gets pretty hot down there and potentially damaging for a fabric and tree machine.
Catch up soon hopefully!
HP
Flyin'Dutch', Clive liked this