Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matspart3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The majority of the museum exhibits survive, including some in airworthy condition. The HE111 (actually a CASA) is part of the Paul Allen collection in the States and the Mitchell undergoing restoration at the Wings Museum in Sussex. The footpath warning sign was across the northern taxiway. I think they eventually closed the public footpath.
By Lefty
I have fond recollections of the sight and sound of the Vulcan starting its four Olympus and doing high speed taxy runs along the runway.
By Rob P
I interviewed for a marketing manager post with the museum back in the early 70s. I was gutted when I didn't, but then the next interview I had was with Saatchi. On balance the museum was a lucky escape.

Rob P
By RobW
My Dad used to do some work on those museum aeroplanes, He was an engineer and did not hold any aviation qualifications, but I remember spending many happy hours clambering all over those them whilst he worked.
By matspart3
Rob P wrote:I interviewed for a marketing manager post with the museum back in the early 70s…. On balance the museum was a lucky escape.

Rob P

Although it might still be open, had you got the job!

It was a very diverse and historically significant collection and absolutely pivotal in defining my career path. Lots of happy memories.
kanga liked this