Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I agree. That sounds like a load of smoke and mirrors for some other reason they don’t want it there, but don’t have the balls to say.

Anyway, as always, Popham (aka the UK’s best light aviation airfield….) will sort it. It always does.

:thumleft:

(I’m sure they’ll even find a special corner for the RV brigade to line up to take selfies of themselves in their flying suits with their TopGun names on their Velcro strips). :D
patowalker, TopCat, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
Interestingly several committee members at Tibenham were discussing putting our airfield forward as a home for the LAA Rally.

For those who don't know it, it is an 8th Air Force base, once home to Jimmy Stewart when flying his combat missions, and with three long concrete runways and acres and acres of grass, under Class G to the heavens.

I have heard far worse suggestions,

Rob P
seanxair, TheFarmer, lobstaboy and 3 others liked this
Rob P wrote:
> Interestingly several committee members at Tibenham were discussing putting
> our airfield forward as a home for the LAA Rally.
>
> For those who don't know it, it is an 8th Air Force base, once home to
> Jimmy Stewart when flying his combat missions, and with three long concrete
> runways and acres and acres of grass, under Class G to the heavens.
>
> I have heard far worse suggestions,
>
> Rob P

It would be ideal, based on my memories of my last visit 30 years ago! Although I'm sure the southerners would moan about location.

Maybe the LAA need to find 3 or 4 locations around the country and rotate it annually.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By TheFarmer
It’s a fair point about location, especially for the ‘70 knotters’ from up North.

I’ve always thought that Leicester would be ideal. Bang in the middle of the UK, and plenty of space.
Sooty25 wrote:

> Maybe the LAA need to find 3 or 4 locations around the country and rotate it
> annually.

Or use those a pair of those three or four locations and set up a couple of 2 day rallies each year.

With a decent amount of local member input, it should not cost too much and would reduce the risk of a total washout weather-wise, Two weekends could go a long way towards easing the north/south bias suggestions too.
TheFarmer wrote:
> It’s a fair point about location, especially for the ‘70 knotters’ from up
> North.
>
> I’ve always thought that Leicester would be ideal. Bang in the middle of
> the UK, and plenty of space.

It was held at Leicester for a couple of years in the early 1980's...PFA Rally as it was called then.
The cost of rallys used to be all out of the PFA 's funds and nearly broke them when several poor wx years came along.
The infrastructure and ATC join up with a participating airfield proved a way out. With insurance and overheads doubtless Sywell no longer found gearing up & running a joint rally attractively viable.
Popham has an efficient and experienced RT team and have run successful big enough events to be best equipped for this year's rally. Support from nascent armies of volunteer groups is yet another essential in the rally mix, all of whom need to be on side.
It requires a lot more than just a large empty airfield and from the LAA statements it really looks as if they tried till the latest moment to persuade Sywell to continue.
malcolmfrost liked this
Many years ago the temporary toilet/shower facilities alone cost in the order of £10 000 for the weekend - that is a fair chunk out of funds right at the outset. Who is doing the marshalling - still Milton Keynes ?
What’s the hotel / B&B situation round Popham like ?
By Hooligan
I may attend by surface transport if the weather looks good and Micheldever/Shanks' pony will be my likely route. Think the last one I went to was at Kemble. This century but not sure which decade! Maurice was there with a sign-bedecked Cub...
By Nick
The following copied from Microlight flying enews.
RECORD TURNOUT FOR POPHAM
WITH blue skies and light winds, 340 aircraft arrived at Popham on the Saturday, making it one of the best ever – even if it meant more go-arounds than landings at one stage.

Nick